Wireless World magazine (UK version) from February 1965

Hi to everyone on the list,

I wonder if anyone on this list has any back issues of the UK magazine "Wireless World"?

I am trying to get hold of a complete copy of an article (photocopy or e-copy) which appeared in the February 1965 edition. I will be more than happy to cover all expenses of copying etc.

The item of interest is an article about a wobbulator designed by Ken Johnson which uses "Turns Cancellation" in order to tune the inductor within the oscillator.

After reading an incomplete description of the design in "Amateur radio techniques" I have been successful in getting the design to work but I understand the WW article had much more detail and background information which I should like to see.

Many thanks,

Des.

Reply to
d29602960

You appear to be in the UK so you can just toddle down to your local public library. The staff can get a copy via inter library loan or a photocopy from the British Library. There is a small fee and it can take a couple of months. Sometimes the staff at the main library in your council district have a better idea of the procedure so it can be easier to go there.

Alternatively, though they don't publisise it, university librarys are generally open to the public, they typically want proof of identity to let you in. They have to be nominally open to the public to get new books at library prices.

The terrible ex-polytechnic that I went to had decades of practical wireless, wireless world etc.

1965 is a bit too far back to find a pirate copy on the internet but there is a good chance of a paper copy appearing on ebay if you watch for a while.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Rather than this

you should learn how to do this
*-*-*-marked-as-Read-in-ALL-*-groups+Newsgroups.line

Reply to
JeffM

Have you actually asked WW ?

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

You should learn how to simply shut the f*ck up, you retarded twit.

Your spew is far worse than any you wish to "correct".

Correct yourself, asswipe.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Hi Bob and the group,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and for the information.

You are quite correct, I am indeed in the UK but was quite unaware that University librarys are open for the public, very handy to know for future reference.

Someone kindly e-mailed me a copy of the article on Sunday evening so I am now able to continue my research.

Thanks again and best wishes to all on the list.

Des.

Reply to
d29602960

this

this

Hi JeffM,

And I thought I understood the Internet :-) Good tip, thanks, I will bear it in mind for next time. "You live and learn" as they say.

Best wishes,

Des.

Reply to
d29602960

Hi Baron and the group,

The WW have changed name several times since the article was printed. The last time I enquired the magazine was called "Electronics and Wireless World" but I was informed that the archive did not contain matterial going back that far. Since then the name of the magazine has changed yet again, not sure if its still running now.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks to all who responded both on and off list.

Someone very kindly e-mailed me a copy of the article on Sunday evening so I will now be able to continue with my project.

Thanks again to all.

Des.

Reply to
d29602960

I think you're over-estimating public access to library facilities in the UK.

Dale Carnegie never got across the pond.

RL

Reply to
legg

You might try contacting Jan-Martin Nöding for a copy. He uses parts of Johnsons '65 article for a web page gloss of LF tuning methods.

RL

Reply to
legg

I have a virtually complete set from the late 1940s to 2005; but they have never been properly sorted out, so finding any particular article might take a long time.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Not at all. You can order up anything for a nominal fee. Almost every town has a public library, and even tiny hamlets have a travelling library service that visits once a week.

The Victorians viewed public education as an important public virtue and by statute the copyright libraries are entitled to a free copy of every book imprinted in the UK.

The better local libraries still have pretty good collections, and can order things up from the national collection for nominal 50p or £1 fee. If it is an extremely rare book you may have to make do with a photocopy of requested pages or travel to the nearest library with a copy.

And as someone else has pointed out if you go to the nearest university library (with a handful of exceptions) you can get most things, or use their online indexing to find the nearest copy.

Andrew Carnegie the super rich US steel tycoon was born a Scot and was a benefactor of many (~2000) UK libraries like Edinburgh for instance. He predates his distant cousin Dale by some considerable time.

And some like Manchester were funded by councils using powers granted to them in the Museums & Libraries Act 1850.

Regards, Martin Brown

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Martin Brown

Not at all. You can order up anything for a nominal fee. Almost every town has a decent public library, and even tiny hamlets have a travelling library service that visits once a fortnight.

The Victorians viewed public education as an important public virtue and by statute the top half dozen Copyright libraries are entitled to a free copy of every book imprinted or publilshed in the UK.

blished-archive.htm>

The better local libraries still have pretty good collections, and can order things up from the national collection for nominal 50p or =A31 fee. If it is an extremely rare book you may have to make do with a photocopy of requested pages or travel to the nearest library with a copy.

And as someone else has pointed out if you go to the nearest university library and ask the librarian nicely you can get most things, or use their online indexing to find the nearest copy.

Andrew Carnegie the super rich US steel tycoon was born a Scot and was a benefactor of many (~2000) UK libraries like Edinburgh which has a bust of him for instance. He predates his distant cousin Dale by some considerable time.

And some like Manchester were funded by councils using powers granted to them in the Museums & Libraries Act 1850.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Please do not use that kind of language anywhere I can read it. It is clear to me that your parents were never married, and this has disadvantaged you in some respect [probably IQ]. Thankyou,..................................................................D= on C.

Reply to
Don

There's a website for back issues of wireless world...! wirelessworldbackissues.co.uk

Reply to
matt.shorter

There's a website for back issues of wireless world...! wirelessworldbackissues

Reply to
matt.shorter

wirelessworldbackissues

If you get completely stuck, I should have that issue (but it may take some time to find it).

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk