wireless comm tutorial

I'm looking for a tutorial/introduction/book on wireless comm circuits. Not something advanced but not something for retards. Something like AOE for wirelss comm. I don't care really too much about all the theory at this point but just want the basics along with the basics of circuit design and antenna design. I'm not looking to be an expert but just have some confidence when designing simple wireless circuits and understand the major issues involved. I don't like to follow datasheet's circuit examples or other found on the internet unless I have a decent understanding of what is going on. Like why the balun or why did they use this value capacitor, etc... In that case I know it has something to do with impedence matching with the antenna and/or filtering.

I know the general idea of radiating power from an antenna but I need a bit more practical theory(but not something for hardcore as I won't be getting hard core into it) and a bit of how it actually works in the real world. (Again, like AOE but for wireless)

Ultimately I'll be using an IC that does almost all the stuff needed internally so it's not necessary but I'll feel more comfortable about it if I have some idea what is really going on.

What I don't want, for example, is where they solve maxwell's equations for a monopole antenna to show the electric field value at some arbitrary point. I could really careless at this point about that kinda stuff(not saying it's important but that is not my goal). I don't mind the result being shown but just care about a page of equations that really won't make me understand the real world application any better. The final equation might but I don't wanna wade through all of the intermediate steps to get there.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

TI has many application notes for their CC1000 and CC2000 series wireless chips. Silabs has some interesting chips as well.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

A copy of the ARRL Handbook?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

On a sunny day (Mon, 02 Nov 2009 07:11:49 -0800) it happened Charlie E. wrote in :

Exactly! But he would have to build some of the circuits to get some real experience. OK, ten years later now :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have that, too.

Radio Amateurs Handbook, 1981

ARRL Handbook, 1999 ...Jim Thompson

  Obama says, "I am NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

Ditto here, 1949, 1965, but inherited the 1949 edition from my dad. Also The Radio Handbook, editors and engineers, 1966, 1939 ish Terman and later edition with electronic engineering in the title. It's strange how s single volume like Terman's Radio and Electronic Engineering could give a reasonable overview of every aspect of the art at the time. Oh yes, Radio Designers Handbook,1957, from .au and the orange dustjacket ITT book from the 60's.

Am also collecting the 30 volume set published at the end of WWII by the MIT Radiation Laboratory. Published initially by McGraw Hill, but after

5 years, placed into the public domain. It covers the whole field of radio, electronics, microwave, radar, servomechanisms etc and details the work done at Rad Lab during WW2. There's even a volume on mechanical computing linkages for function generation etc. It's a real storehouse of info for anyone interested in the history of science.

More anorakism's I guess, but there you go :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

For such needs I'd suggest Chris Bowick's "RF Circuit Design" and Wes Hayward's "Introduction to RF Circuit Design." Both do assume you have a background in basic circuit theory and know what, e.g., phasors are, but otherwise require nothing more than algebra and perhaps first semester calcculus (which can be largely ignored if you're not planning on verifying the derivations).

One thing to keep in mind is that by the time you're pushing much into VHF or higher, parasitics start to become pretty significant and the discrete component values you see in some guy's schematic can differ noticeably from what you calculate with an "ideal" circuit model. (So don't be surprsied when you calculate some capacitor as, e.g., 22pF and the guy has 15pF loaded...)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

That is a bit of a problem. I have a similar project ahead of me. I'd like the circuit to perform as good as possible without becoming an RF expert.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Why don't you want the circuit to become an RF expert? Does this make you feel threatened?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

The Hayward's book should be easy to follow. Some earlier ARRL books were quite good, but some recent books in order to get as large audience as possible, much of the usable information has been dropped.

Most of the older books have been written with lead through components in mind, thus there are quite a significant parasitic inductance and hence the maximum usable frequency is quite low.

Thus, many circuits that were usable up to 100 MHz with lead-through components might be usable up to 1 GHz wish proper surface mount components.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

OK, without ME, myself or I becoming an RF expert :-)

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

The pre-1990 ones had more construction info. I have about half a dozen.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Not=20

=20

=20

and=20

major=20

is=20

matching=20

bit=20

getting=20

=20

if=20

for=20

point.=20

it's=20

but=20

the=20

In some ways it sounds like you want a current ARRL handbook. Or maybe "Radio Frequency Design" by Wes Haywood.

Reply to
JosephKK