wire size question

--
And, in the process, tin the wire, changing its diameter...
Reply to
John Fields

Actually, I do it regularly with .15mm wire (I don't know the guage) Of course, you have to be able to set the blowtorch so that it's producing a yellow flame that's not too hot, a lighter works well.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Oh, that's cheating. (;-) When you write 'blowtorch', you should mean 'blowtorch', 1000 C plus.

The almost cool flame of an alcohol burner is good, especially as it has a large part of its volume that is chemically reducing.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'wire size question', on Fri, 8 Apr 2005:

Once upon a time, there was 'flux-enamelled' magnet wire, which was really easy to solder, but the coating was fragile. Then there was 'solderable', which required an iron temperature substantially higher than for normal soldering. But that gave off toluene diisocyanate, which is poisonous if you breathe it for 20 years, so you had to use it under extraction, and that made it fall out of favour.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I use either a dial calipers or a micrometer. But then the insulation can make it sizeably larger than the value given in the wire tables. The wire tables have a column which gives 'ohms per 1000 ft' which is just another way of saying milliohms per foot. So if you measure ten feet of 30 AWG it should measure 1.04 ohms. My cheap meter test leads are something like .4 ohms, so it's really difficult to get any accuracy at that low a resistance. I have a Leeds Northrup wheatstone bridge, and it's not very good either at that low a resistance. So I put the wire or whatever on a power supply and crank up the current to a quarter amp, and then measure the V drop and calculate the resistance from that.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

and

I don't believe anyone uses vernier calipers anymore. I've got a Helios dial caliper made a long time ago in Deutschland, but nowadays a caliper with a LCD is probably a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

and

Man, are you _way_ off! By an order of magnitude! Put your glass on and reread the wire tables.

AE6EO

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

diameter

winding

gauge.

HUH? What do you mean, Jellybean?

[snip]

Uh, yeah...

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

out

For that cheap, you probably get plastic!

These look like a good deal on your side of the pond.

3430&rd=1

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

and

diameter

winding

gauge.

in

item

insulation

is

ten

leads

accuracy

bridge,

the

quarter

that.

winding R.

Long as it doesn't start glowing red. ;-)

Probably not such a good idea for measuring the series R of inductors. Unless you run a Hi Power tape demagnetizer over it when you're done..

BTW, speaking of tapes.. I read that the company that made Irish and Ampex tape has closed. Looks like everyone has been going to CD-Rs.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

have

wire

diameter

Helios

caliper

LCD

I'm trying to figure out why they would be called vernier when they have a LCD display.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

the

nowadays a

out

reward"

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

You can get low-end LCD calipers in the US for the equivalent of about GPB8 plus tax. For GPB1 (

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Bumfuzzles me why you'd want to cut it up into a bunch of hard-to-handle strands. Just wind it around a dowel as someone else suggested.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I do, got fed up with resetting the mechanical dial type through the rack and pinion becoming dirty, and electronics/robustness issues with electronic types.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

I read in sci.electronics.design that "Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote (in ) about 'wire size question', on Sat, 9 Apr 2005:

In UK, you can get vernier calipers for around GBP1 (and mine check out as quite sufficiently accurate). LCD calipers are about GBP35.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I use that trick too. The only sensible way to measure a coil's winding R.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ohhh... I assumed anyone serious would be using a Mitotuyo ? digital LCD vernier caliper anyway. We certainly have one.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I read in sci.electronics.design that Spehro Pefhany wrote (in ) about 'wire size question', on Sat, 9 Apr 2005:

Reply to
John Woodgate

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote: (snip)

(snip)