wire size question

The link was too long and got broken.

Much better to enclose all links in brackets, which will still work right even if split/word-wrapped into multiple lines. Works with all of the browsers I have used.

For example:

for the item above, which works as Watson intended.

There are also options like tinyurl, but some do not trust that.

Happy trails, Gary (net.yogi.bear)

--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Gary S.

You should shell out the $20 or whatever then (or $100 and get a Mitutoyo or other brand name with a bit better "feel"). I use mine all the time- for rough (0.001") width, diameter, inside diameter (rougher) and depth measurements. A micrometer is useful for precision measurements, but less necessary for an EE.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I read in sci.electronics.design that "Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote (in ) about 'wire size question', on Sat, 9 Apr 2005:

No longer there.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Mm.. 'kay. Hope things get better fast for you.

You don't have a file? ;-) Just double-checking lead pitch etc. is worth a lot by times.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I do.

I haven't got a LCD one, but a magazine sends me one every year. Ok, it's made of plastic, but it works fine, and is accurate enough for me, seeming to be within about .05mm

I'd like an LCD one of course.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Who still makes audio recording tape? I thought Ampex was the last.

Reply to
mc

They're not dead yet. See this:

mc

Unfortunately, $20 is quite a lot of money at the moment :/

I don't have any real need for it - I've got a 0-25mm micrometer, and the plastic caliper fills in for the rest.

I don't have any tools that can maintain that sort of tollerance anyway, so my need is less.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

True. I don't really have that much that I need to hold accurate tollerances for anyway.

The file is a much underestimated metalworking tool.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote: (snip)

No tears here about that demise. I haven't used Ampex tape since 1969, in Korea. We switched our three 12-track recorders to 3M tape because Ampex sandpapered the heads.

This old war horse finally went CD-R and CD-RW about a year ago. CD-RW is wonderful for PC HD backup. Can't bear to let go of my Teac 4010-SL r/r deck though. I bought it in Thailand in '71, used it until '81 or so, and then packed it in its original box. It's been used twice since then. Every once in a while I pull it out to show to some kid as an antique. :-)

Reply to
Michael

What wire gauge, if one at all, do metricated industrial countries use?

France, Germany, Russia, China, for example.

Reply to
Reg Edwards

I read in sci.electronics.design that Reg Edwards wrote (in ) about 'wire size question', on Sun,

10 Apr 2005:

There is an IEC standard, IEC 60317-0-1, which specifies a range of metric diameters for enamelled copper winding wires.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Wire diameter in mm.

0.05 0.1 0.15 0.5 0.75 1.00 2.00 mm, for example.

If they carry american wire sizes they are also declared in wire diameter in mm.

--
Roger J.
Reply to

To distingush it from a micrometer caliper at one end of the tool spectrum, and a monkey wrench at the other. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Whoa! Right now I have four shoeboxes of old Morse-code tapes sitting on the workbench waiting to be carried out to the trashcan. Should I advertise them on Ebay instead?

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms:  soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge

Got any old copies of _Electronics_ magazine? This one probably passed through many of our hands...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Depends. Some tapes (reportedly mostly from the 1970s) disintegrate. A couple of years ago I had no trouble playing my tapes from the late 1960s, but...

Reply to
mc

In fact it prompted one of our librarians to go and get our university's copy of it and lock it away...

Reply to
mc

I'd attempt to hawk em on ebay before tossing them. Maybe somebody can do something with them regardless of condition or relevance of code practice. It doesn't make sense to just cart them to the dump without trying.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill M

Navy Gauge?

{I recall US Navy had some scheme that was its alone; sizes were directly proportional to label...}

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher