wire calculator

Recently I had occasion to do a number of calculations based on wire size (as in AWG or wire diameter).

How many amps can I send through one strand of a given flat band cable and what is the voltage loss per meter? Given a coil geometry, what size wire do I need so that the DC resistance of the coil is 12 Ohm?

This is quite possible to do using web recources like AWG tables and specialized calculators (not to forget your own pocket calculator), but it gets tedious. So I have written a stand-alone command line tool (a perl script) that answers similar questions.

The tool, called "wire" works with a number of wire parameters (currently AWG, diameter, cross section, "ampacity" rating, and resistivity (Ohms/km)). You can specify the value of any of these as an entry parameter and it prints the values of the others, or a selection of the others.

Given a coil geometry (inner, outer diameter and length), additional coil parameters (number of turns, wire length, copper resistance, inductivity) are available. These can also be entry parameters.

It is possible to specify multiple entry values in a single call, using a from,to,step scheme, which results in a table of the requested output parameters. A number of examples are appended below.

Now, my question is, would it be worth while to make this tool publicly available? Is it superfluous? Not trustworthy enough? Command-line tools are out of fashion anyhow?

Or is it too limited in scope? Should features be added? Non-metric units, for instance? Materials beside copper?

If anyone cares, I have packed up a runnable version of its current incarnation at

It's a tar archive that unpacks to a directory "wirepack" which contains the script named "wire" and auxiliary material. The script should be run from the directory "wirepack". It assumes you have perl as "/usr/local/bin/perl". Calling "./wire -h" produces a (lenghty) help message. "perldoc wire" shows a kind of man page, currently mostly examples. The first few are reproduced below.

Anno

---------------------------------------------------------------- In the simplest case, you call "wire" with a single argument, the AWG number of the wire in question. That prints the wire-related quantities (diameter, cross-section, resistivity, and current rating) pertaining to that gauge:

wire 13 AWG dia sec rho amp mm mm^2 Ohm/km A 13 1.83 2.62 6.58 17.5

wire 15 AWG dia sec rho amp mm mm^2 Ohm/km A 15 1.45 1.65 10.5 12.5

To see more than one gauge at once, specify them in a "first last step" format:

wire 10 20 2 AWG dia sec rho amp mm mm^2 Ohm/km A 10 2.59 5.26 3.28 30 12 2.05 3.31 5.22 20 14 1.63 2.08 8.3 15 16 1.29 1.31 13.2 10 18 1.02 0.82 21 5 20 0.81 0.52 33.4 3.3

Anno

You might consider putting it up as a project on Sourceforge. In any case, I'd recommend adding a copyright notice and some kind of license: BSD, GPL, ... or whatever you think is appropriate.

WRT trustworthiness, I note that you seem to be using the One True Editor (vi) so you're 100% super-good in *my* book. For the unenlightened, you may consider adding a disclaimer text that the results should only be used as a guide, are not authoritative, etc.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I'll second those comments. More later when I've played around a bit.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I made a wire size calculator using Excel, and it is available on my website as:

It provides two methods of computing maximum current for a given wire size. The usual method, which is proportional to cross-sectional area, gives rather unrealistic values for very small or very large diameters, for a single conductor in free air. In this case, the rating is better determined by the ratio of power to surface area, which will result in a specific temperature rise. The volumetric calculation based on cross sectional area is more appropriate for multiple wires in a bundle, multilayer coils, etc.

This would be an excellent application to write in JavaScript, which works well for web based access as well as a stand-alone application. Unless you are already in a command-line environment, it is cumbersome to use.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen