Window Heater

Yeah, that's what I thought. I expect I would feel the draft from the wall if I were sitting with my back to that. It's not a windstorm, it's a slow, cool draft that makes my shoulders ache.

There is no reason on earth to heat the middle of the wall. Heating the surface would be much better, less heat loss to the outside.

--

Rick C
Reply to

No, that was my original idea. But I find resistance wire to be a PITA compared to using resistors. I had thought of using surface mount parts scattered across some circuit board strips, but found 100 watt resistors on eBay for a buck apiece. I initially used a bench supply and found 15 to 20 volts would do the job ok. So I pulled out an old laptop supply and it works great.

I think I'm going to mount the resistors to an aluminum plate with some wood trim so it fills the bottom foot of the window. I'll add a second bank so the two halves can be heated independently. Use a "universal" laptop supply so the voltage can be adjusted just so and it should keep me warm all winter. Not so cheap, but no more than any of the heating plates I found on the Internet including from Aliexpress.

The only hard part is cutting the plate to length, but I know someone with metal tools who can do this for me.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Vertical window in wall. The draft is only a slight one as I have the window opening filled with 3/4 inch Styrofoam behind the two pane glass.

A radiator under the window is what I am making. This room is a corner room with two windows, so they gave it two heating vents (forced air), but they are on either side of the *other* window as that's the direction the rafters in the floor run. To put one of the vents under this window would require the ducts to run under the rafters rather than between them lowering the ceiling further in the basement.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Lol. I did put a piece of cardboard in the window behind the slatted blinds with a gap at the edges. That sort of works, but I think trying to get an air draft to follow a gutter sideways to a downspout would be a trick.

Another thing I thought of was to use the plastic window kits to make an airspace and just blowing air through it with a fan. That would make all the cold come out at the other end and with the air moving a bit faster than the draft, it wouldn't be cold. But I don't want to hear the durn fan. I guess I could use one that is very, very quiet. But that's too mechanical of a solution and the plastic is not very pretty. When I am done my window radiator will actually look pretty nice.

--

Rick C
Reply to

The other outside wall already has one. I could move it to one of the two inside walls. I can either have a view of my basement stairs or inside the shower. Both are pretty interesting options except for the view of the basement stairs.

--

Rick C
Reply to

What I have now *is* a strip of resistors.... Oh, you mean keep the user away from the "high" heat. Eh, I think I'll go with the metal plate. It will look nice and I think it will end up working better to boot.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Every hour, on the hour. 8^o

--

Rick C
Reply to

Drafts travel along and down walls. I know you said "don't suggest I move", but if you could get even six inches further from the wall, you'd be a lot more comfortable.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

3/4" of styrofoam isn't nearly enough. Styrofoam only has an R-value of around 4/in.
Reply to
krw

I think it would work. But one experiment is worth a thousand guesses. wh ich is why I suggested trying it using cardboard. It would only take about 15 minutes to try. the down spout would be a fairly long column of denser air which would help to increase the flow. I think one down spout at one end would work. But a down spout in the center would be better as would a down spout at each end.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Sure. Long-wavelength IR; things that look cloudy white at visible wavelengths are transparent to longer wavelengths. You can't see UV light, because the human eye lens is a cloudy white in that part of the spectrum. Good insulation has to be opaque.

Unless, the styrofoam is the foil-backed kind?

Reply to
whit3rd

I wanted to improve passive cooling of a computer once and constructed a test of the chimney effect. I positioned a 3 foot long 3 or 4 inch diameter aluminum tube over a 100 watt light bulb. I was not able to measure any movement of the air whatsoever. I tried the most sensitive thing I could find which was a bit of down on a thread. It never moved when held near the top of the chimney.

I guess looking for air movement to cool a computer box is one thing and the slow, steady draft from a window is another. But the gutter would be in my way a lot of the time and I'm happy with the heater idea.

Air movement is the key. But any air movement that hits me needs to be some degrees warmer than ambient. The only way to eliminate the draft I can conceive of is to heat the air next to the window so it isn't falling on me. I guess it isn't really even important for the heater to be right behind me. If it were higher up it would still stop the draft and perhaps even better, stopping it before it gets started.

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd get a sheet of aluminum the full size of the window. Then it would approach the model of heating a space between the Styrofoam and the room. A piece 12 inches tall and as wide as the window is going to run $60 with shipping. I should try to find a local source. But I bet it costs more for the material. lol

--

Rick C
Reply to

No, it's the ugly green type. I don't think I could stand to look at foil from either side. In fact, at some point I am going to put up something that will cover the Styrofoam. It's not only green, but covered with writing. I may be a geek, but that's pretty ugly, even to me!

I also miss the light. Sitting in a room without daylight is not so fun. I have a work table in the living room with a great view, but that whole room is just too cold. Lots of glass and even skylights. I use that in the warmer months.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I'm blessed with 3 huge window panes at work. I use a 10" fan (on the floor) to suck the cool air and move it into the isle, works well. THe temperature stabilizes after about 1/2 hour.

Martin Riddle

So that leaves the shower view; but hey, someone might pay good money for that kind of view! ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Good point -- I've found in my poorly heated apartment, I need to encourage convection to keep the temperature even. A fan pointed at the top of the window bank (or away at the bottom, as in your case) does wonders, despite increasing the air currents overall.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

FYI, "Styrofoam" is a brand name of a particular chemical composition (polystyrene, of course). The colored stuff is one of several kinds of isocyanate (polyurethane).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams
75W incandescent reflector type spot light aimed at your back will keep you toasty

makolber

Nope, it says "extruded polystyrene" right on it.

It's called Styrofoam the way office copiers are called Xerox machines. No one says "extruded polystyrene".

--

Rick C
Reply to

But to get anyone to use the shower I'd have to install a shower curtain inside my shower stall.

Actually, that would be pretty funny to have a window in the shower. What would people think?

--

Rick C
Reply to