Eclipse Electric Window Circuit

Greetings! I had to take a break from the timer project....

Now I am troubleshooting an electric window circuit. The drivers side works fine. Passenger window motor will not energize. I have already checked the entire circuit from the ignition switch to the input to the motor and switches and 12V circuit are fine. rocker switches both send

12V to the last connector shown on this diagram at the motor -- see bottom right on this diagram from Haynes...

The window is down and I can't figure out how to raise it so I can pull the parts out.

Before I do that, I want to check to be sure the motor is grounded, but can't find any schematic showing where the ground is connected.

Anyone have an idea where it could be grounded?

FYI, here's page one of the window circuit.

I thank you and my wife thanks you.

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

As clearly shown in the first drawing, the motor is not grounded. That is because the motor needs to be run in both directions. So, the ground path is through the reversing switch. The passenger's side is more complex because there are switches on both doors to control it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Guv Bob expressed precisely :

From circuit on 70dr.jpg. The motor is not grounded. The only ground is that supplied by one or other of the wires 2RB or or 2GB depending on UP or Down Switch that is motor terminal 1 or 2, these connections are reversed by the switches above to give UP or DOWN.

Make sure both ON/OFF switches are ON l-) Ground is the wire doewn the centre of the page labeled 2B.

--
John G
Reply to

  1. I don't think the motor is grounded at all- it's reversible so you apply one polarity for up and the opposite for down. The side that gets grounded for either motor (depending on direction) goes through that middle wire on your first schematic (the ground symbol is at the bottom). E53-5.
  2. You should be able to disconnect the window from the regulator (mechanically) and lift it manually. You can use some tape to hold it up. With the door panel off, of course.
  3. You may be able to disconnect the wires from the passenger side switch and apply voltage to get the motor to run, but I don't see why you'd want to do that- you'll have to detach the assembly to get it out anyhow.

Before you get into that, maybe test that you're getting +/-12V out of the passenger side switch (you may be able to remove just the switch without prying off the door panel).. if not, then one of the two switches, the lock switch, a fuse, or the wiring is faulty. If you hear the motor running up and down but the window doesn't move, then you have another answer.

P.S. you're sure you haven't just engaged the passenger window lock switch? ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

side works fine. Passenger window motor will not energize. I have already checked the entire circuit from the ignition switch to the input to the motor and switches and 12V circuit are fine. rocker switches both send 12V to the last connector shown on this diagram at the motor

-- see bottom right on this diagram from Haynes...

pull the parts out.

but can't find any schematic showing where the ground is connected.

reward"

Thanks, fellers. The problem has been solved. I made a note on the drawing because I'm sure there will be a next time....

Guv Bob Ace Troubleshooter

Reply to
Guv Bob

LOL. Thanks for that.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

the =

Thank YOU Spehro! You saved me another day's "work!"

Reply to
Guv Bob

Thanks, fellers. The problem has been solved. I made a note on the drawing because I'm sure there will be a next time....

Guv Bob Ace Troubleshooter

I had the same problem with my Ford Explorer window. After taking the door panel off and going thru all the electricals and finding nothing wrong, I finally whacked the motor with a rubber mallet out of frustration. Works fine now. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Another group was talking about gasoline pumps, saying sometimes reversing the leads, it will start working. It does not sound like a sure thing.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

From another vehicle group (Astro-Safari vans) I saw the pics of an integral bi-metal circuit breaker inside the window motor, which, when it gets weak will prevent full window travel.

One owner's solution was to jumper the internal breaker.. not exactly a repair, but at least restores full function to an otherwise annoying problem (if there are no other problems causing excessive load on the motor, in which case the circuit breaker was saving the motor).

--
Cheers,
WB

"Artemus"  wrote in message

> I had the same problem with my Ford Explorer window.  After taking the
> door panel off and going thru all the electricals and finding nothing
> wrong,
> I finally whacked the motor with a rubber mallet out of frustration.
> Works fine now.
> Art

Reply to
Wild_Bill

My Nissan Pathfinder had a passenger side window that sometimes did not go up when either the door up switch or the drivers control up switch was depr essed. I finally got things to work by holding down the "UP" switch at the drivers control panel while someone SLAMMED the offending door closed. Af ter doing that a couple of times, the window worked fine for another 2 year s before the car was scrapped.

Reply to
hrhofmann