Win8 Networking is Down

If the Linksys fixes it, then look to the WiFi hardware and drivers for the Wifi adapter.

If it doesn't do it under Knoppix with the WiFi adapter, then it's drivers/software.

I am sure it is.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

You mean M$ finally got your monthly dues check?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have been dealing with this issue for some weeks now. The problem reached bottom and improved for awhile so that it was largely usable only requiring a reset of the wifi adapter a couple of times per day. Now it is back to not working much and I am barely able to post to newsgroups using T'bird and email only works very sporadically.

I tried an Ethernet cable with no different results. When I check email I get the error "no buffer space available (10055)". I can do Google search using Chrome, but can't reach any of the results. I'll likely pull out my netbook and complete the searches, but I'm getting tired of this and will likely look into buying a new laptop. The problem with that is most, if not all of the newer non-low end laptops have "features" I don't like. I'm having to use a mouse with this one because it has one of those buttonless touchpads that don't work for me. I rest my thumb on the buttons when using the touchpad which makes the touchpad work wonky. It is just too kludgy to be moving my fingers off and on the button area to be facile. There are many other problems with this machine so that I'm fed up with it anyway. The whole power thing is crap with sleep requiring reboot to wake up some percentage of the time and hibernate mucking up to require a power cycle to regain control.

While I'm ranting, does it seem kinda crazy that a wireless mouse and keyboard interface isn't built into laptops? I guess that is a feature only used by a small percentage of uses but costing at least $5.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the ultra crappy keyboard on this stinking laptop which double enters at the drop of a hat. This is so bad that my space bar is the most frequently used button by an order of magnitude I expect. These days anytime I say "Lenovo" I have to spit!

To top it all off I have a customer jerking me around with "hurry up" orders. Not easy to deal with when email doesn't work.

--

Rick
Reply to

you can get bluetooths mouse/keyboard, most laptops have bluetooth buildin

the receiver for my wireless mouse/keyboard is tiny plugged in it only sticks out a few mm so you could just leave it in, if not there is a place to store it in the mouse behind the battery cover

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes, I could attach an external display, an external hard drive and I could even run all my apps on a desktop CPU using a remote connection app. My point is that this laptop *sucks* worse than any machine I've ever had. Oh, wait, I *can't* log into another PC... I forgot why I was posting to this thread.

As to the mouse, I've had ones with a storable dongle, they were not such great mice (cheapies from Microcenter). I bought a Logitek mouse and they have the gall to say you don't need to store the dongle and don't give you a place to store it. I tried that with my last laptop and those few mm sticking out of the end of the PC caused my laptop bag to rip a seam that ultimately ruined the entire bag. Shame because it was the best laptop bag I've had and I can't find one like it.

I've yet to find a Bluetooth mouse that worked very well and the Bluetooth is one of the things that frequently crap out on this machine.

Grrrr... I'm not having a good day in case you haven't noticed. On top of it all, I have to choose between driving 230 miles to assure a package is shipped promptly or dealing with shipping it here and then me shipping it out. My concern is if I drop ship it my customer will know who is building my product. :(

But I found option number 3.... :)

--

Rick
Reply to

You have a program that is running that is failing to connect or process some sockets, it's filling up the stack. If you are operating a router, make sure you don't have another PC that went to sleep before it completed some network session. I have a PC that if it goes to sleep while haning with some packets, it'll fill up the NAT in the router and all other PC's become very slow in network responses, at times may even time out. Bring that sleepy PC back to life usually clears the issue or rebooting the router to clear the NAT table. Packet bombing is the most common trick, DoS..

Check for funning programs operating.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you mean an external router? Or do you mean using the PC as a router? Yes, I use an external router. The only PC I know of that sleeps is mine when I ask it to, not automatically. I can't check my router because the networking problem won't let me see the page provided by the router. Tried both Chrome and FF.

My roommate here has an iPhone which seems to work ok on the same router and when I was at another location I had problems while others did not. I have tried rebooting the routers at both locations with no improvement.

--

Rick
Reply to

tried something like wireshark?

years ago I had a problem that sounds similar, turned out to be virus that was trying to spam emails and because it was stupid it kept crashing the router with too many simultaneous connections

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Your dropout on the WIFI is a common WIN8 problem BTW.

Martin Riddle

My mice are very happy with my laptops. My work laptop needs a donglet but both my laptop and tablet work quite well without.

The only brand I'll buy.

You only have one Internet capable device?

Reply to
krw

Me too, but only up to the T4xx generation. I have a whole bunch of those. After that Lenovo got way too cute about rootkits and MITM attacks on their own customers.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I did a complete virus scan many days ago. I can't find any sign of one. I ran netstat a while ago and can't find anything obvious, but there are a lot of connections and I don't recognize all the many programs. Also some of the connections don't display a process name.

The buffer space error in the email program is new and seems to be a networking problem with sockets. Lots of reports of this on the web, but no single cause. Most of them report rebooting fixes the problem temporarily while my problem isn't fixed by rebooting.

I wish it were a virus problem. I could fix that.

--

Rick
Reply to

Not sure what that means. Are you using a cabled mouse or a bluetooth mouse? I haven't used Bluetooth a lot, but when I do it has problems more frequently that I expect. The touchpad is turned off to prevent palm wipes from messing things up and I would have to dig out another mouse to debug a Bluetooth mouse issue. Also, the selection of Bluetooth mice is a lot less than others.

A netbook, which is what I use to try to research not being about to connect to the Internet. I use a mail client and don't like to go around that. I use it as a data base for communications and sending email from a web client messes up how it works for those emails.

My board test fixture controller program opens a socket to a telnet window as a debug display. When I first got this computer it would not connect to the durn telnet display no matter what. I got a lot of advice on debugging including wireshark and never got it working. This thing is just possessed.

--

Rick
Reply to

Bluetooth.

I had a lot of trouble with USB decades back, too. Bluetooth seems to work quite well, these days.

I have the touchpads turned off on my ThinkPads, too, but they have tracksticks. I haven't had any issues with Bluetooth in a long time, though. I guess I have to power cycle a headset to get it to attach, once in a while. Once it's going it's reliable, though.

Less, sure, but there is a good selection, including some top of the line mice and some not so top.

Are you using POP? IMAP works much better on multiple devices. Even with POP, I would just copy myself on outgoing emails if I was sending them from another device. With IMAP, I can use my tablet or laptop, and even my cell phone though it's a PITA to send email on it.

I've had very good luck with Lenovo, though the resolution on my X21T display is too low to be really useful as a laptop. I don't use it much as a laptop anymore. The tablet is just too easy to carry and has a much better display (though much worse keyboard).

Reply to
krw

I found a web page with some info on the 10055 "no buffer space available" error and they say to use the command netstat -o to see what process is using "resources". The only two processes listed are 0 and 4 which are system interrupts and system respectively. WTF?

--

Rick
Reply to

I use a bluetooth speaker and every once in awhile the Bluetooth stack gets so messed up I have to disable the adapter or something. It is just infrequent enough that I never remember what to do to straighten it out. I'm not willing to give the Bluetooth mouse a try since I can't find any that I have confidence in.

At microcenter it is something like 30:1. I found two or three Bluetooth mice and literally many dozen others.

I tried IMAP once and the outbound emails don't get duplicated. CCing myself doesn't give me an email that shows as outbound and so makes it harder to search for. It also makes the files on the two machines different. One has it's outbound copies as well as the received copies and the other vice versa.

This Lenovo is pure crap. The worst keyboard I've ever seen anywhere, display is HD but has poor view-ability anywhere but dead center. That is so bad, the difference in angle between the top and bottom makes part of the screen hard to see on some movies. It runs hot, can't find it's own battery, crashes if I try to use sleep mode and the list goes on. I paid about $800 for this POS.

I guess tomorrow I'll get a low end machine just to have something to get by with. I'd like to get something with a decent touchpad but nearly all of them have no mouse buttons these days.

--

Rick
Reply to

It sounds like a problem I had with my old HP XP machine, which still is operating btw. Some of the util apps they put in there would go out and check for updates, a few of them no longer had valid contacts. A couple of the apps had bugs in them where they would not clear out the failed attempt to connect and simply try again later, to connect to the same sever that didn't exist..

After a while the network on the PC would get very slow to the point of not working worth a crap anymore..

The fix was to not allow those update programs to run on start up. These were not window updates but HP updates to things that were no longer there on the net.

If you still have OEM tracking software on there, get rid of it.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

I haven't had any real problems with BT in ages.As I said, one set of headphones doesn't attach once in a dozen times but a power cycle fixes it. But if you want to keep using dongles, or cords, have at it.

As many mice that are on the market, even 30:1 would still leave thousands to choose from. ;-)

If you want outbound emails duplicated, use an Exchange server. That's one reason businesses use it. IMAP does what I need though.

What model is that? I love my tablet, though its keyboard sucks. YOY do they keep moving keys?!

I much prefer a track-stick, which most Lenovo laptops have.

Reply to
krw

I am able to get email once in awhile just as I am able to get the newsgroups once in awhile. My mail program routinely checked two email addresses and sometimes connects on one only. I find I can manually check the other one as well, but only by itself. Seems there is occasionally enough buffer space for either one, but very seldom both and most of the time neither. I guess something is sucking up all the "buffer space" so that the browsers don't work at all and the programs that send and receive small amounts of data can work sometimes.

If I could properly back up the system, I would try the Windows "repair" option.

--

Rick
Reply to

Get another HD, connect to the computer (as Primary Slave, NOT via USB), and use Parted Magic; fastest HD COPY available. Networking will slow it down.

You want a COPY not a mickey-mouse "image" which cannot be used on its own. All "backups" make some kind of "image" that are useless on their own, and _demand_ use of special recovery/restore software that complicates thins,slows down things, and requires EXACTLY the same version used for the so-called "backup". "Image" and "backup" crap programs may be on the "imaged"/"backed-up" drive and no where else - leading to a very expensive and useless HD and you up the creek without a boat, a paddle or the river.

Reply to
Robert Baer