Why is the ATX PSU designed to standby current?

I think the issue is that the computer freezes right at the point where you left off. So you need to save everything in RAM, variables, stack, and the programs as they exist in memory. Starting it up, you are merely filling the RAM. A reboot goes through all kinds of stages, and does things like decompress applications before they can be run.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

this

wake

government's

How the hell do you run Windoze without a reset switch?? :-)

I run my PC's on a UPS too, leave them on basically all the time. For the environmentally conscious, I figure that it's better to sue a couple of watts more rather than suffer the wear and tear on components leading to earlier failure and more rubbish. (It's my rationalization, I'll try if I want to....)

Ken

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

How do you plan to restart the actual state of the hardware? You'll need a lot of driver intelligence to restore all register settings - some settings even could make no sense on a different time.

Andreas

--
It's not the things you don't know what gets you into trouble. It's
the things you do know that just ain't so.

It also works the on/off switch too such as may be found on the front panel or even the keyboard and various other 'wake-on' features. Most monitors also go into auto-standby when the PC is switched off too now as well.

No different to switching off your VCR / DVD / TV / some audio gear etc etc using the remote control.

There are regulations that set maximum power draw limits in this sleep mode.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

If you have the option. In many places in the US apartment complexes are built with electric heat because it's cheaper for the bulider and more reliable (or at least cheaper to fix). :-(

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Particularly a laptop drive. ;-)

It's not two seconds. I timed it yesterday. While in a meeting I had to change batteries, so did a hibernate instead of powering down. It was close to 45 seconds to hibernate and a bit over a minute to come back. The laptop has 512MB.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Gas is often a third of the price of electricity. So, it can be an expense. (

Reply to
Ian Stirling

A modern laptop drive should be capable of 15-20MB/s my desktop drives manage 40-50MB/s. I think the disk I/O for hibernation has to be done in the BIOS so performance is probably less than optimal.

Reply to
nospam

Well, I live in an apartment where I don't pay for the heat. But the heat seldom ever runs with all the computers I have heating the place...

I am currently transitioning to a new computer and haven't got all my stuff off the old one yet, so I have two systems at my desk. Then I have a Media Center PC on each of my two TVs, so I have 4 systems running most of the time...

At one point when I was building a couple systems for other people I had 6 systems going all at once, and I had to open my windows a bit and let cold 10 degree air from outside in just to keep the temperature below 80 inside. :-(

Reply to
Carl D. Smith

Any system built in the last 3 years or so should handle it just fine, at least in the configuration as shipped from the factory. If you system has one of those "Designed for Microsoft Windows" stickers on it, the manufacturer is required to support suspend to ram and suspend to disk (although suspend to disk may not be turned on by default). They also have to meet specific boot times and resume times from suspend to ram.

However, it is not unheard of for suspend modes to break when new hardware with drivers that aren't properly designed are installed. But I haven't seen that recently either.

Like other people have already said, it does. But it may not be turned on. In XP go to control panel, power options, click the hibernate tab, and click the "enable hibernation" check box. If you use the welcome screen in XP when you hit start/turn off computer you will see three buttons that standby, turn off, restart. Standby will do a suspend to ram. But if you press the shift key, it will change to hibernate.

On my new system with 2GB of ram, it takes longer to resume from suspend mode than to just cold boot the system. But it has the advantage that all your programs are still open where you left them.

One think to be aware of is that if you use suspend to ram, and there is a power outage, you will lose your unsaved work just like if the power went off when you were using the computer. But there is one trick that minimizes the chance of this happening. You can go into the power options and set a time for the system to go into suspend to ram (standby), and a longer time for it to go into suspend to disk (hibernate). The system should go into suspend to ram, then when the suspend to disk time happens, it should automatically wake up, and then suspend to disk. You get the advantage of a 5 second wakeup if you restart the system soon, and have less chance of losing stuff if you forget the system in suspend to ram for a long period of time.

Reply to
Carl D. Smith

What I have not seen in Windows is the ability to suspend to ram

*and* to disk, with restore from ram if there was no power outage and restore from disk if there was.
Reply to
Guy Macon