Why are IGBT's used in ignitions so much?

Then there was a day, long past, say some 54 years ago, when some lad, age of 24, grabbed the ball, and put solid state regulators into Ford, GM, Chrysler and American Motors >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Was the first solid state regulator used in a generator or alternator?

Regards

Reply to
tom

The one's I designed were for alternators, IC chip plus a discrete Darlington... assembled on a "lead frame"... if I can find a picture, I'll post.

But I believe there were generator regulators made up of discrete devices, but, IIRC, still used relays to control the field and reverse conduction... the semiconductors just added accuracy to the sensing voltage. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

ps

.

You can use mosfets, A guy I know that design and builds aftermarket ECUs uses irfp450 (afair) for many years. I think he uses ignition igbts now, spec'ced for 5V drive and build in clamp

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

almost everything now is waste spark with pairs of plugs in series, or coil-on-plug

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

400mohms Rdson is a bit high though, gets warm.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I haven't seen wasted spark in a long time. Coil-on-plug usually had a personal coil for each plug. Our cars (Mitsubishi Montero Sport and Toyota Corolla) still use one coil and distributor but they are about 20 years old.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

hms

amps

ark

ime

em.

nd

,

Us

,

it is only on for a few milliseconds while the current is ramping up every (other) revolution

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

True but at high rpm it does add up. In automotive they usually skimp on every bit of PCB copper or aluminum.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

afaik many VWs use something like this,

two coils and build in driver

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Neat. That makes it nice and compact. Since cars don't have hand cranks anymore there won't be less of a chance of a KAPOW out of the exhaust.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

They thought the 'I' in IGBT means Ignition. Usually the simplest explanation is best.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

All 17 HP, right? [Joerg is clearly a deux chevaux owner...]

David Lesher

In the early '60's I had a Renault Dauphine, IIRC, all of 35HP.

When we (the Motorola gang) would go out to lunch, Tom Frederiksen would always comment that he felt like he was being chased by 100 lawn mowers ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Ah, yesss, how could I not have known! :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Was, it rusted out from underneath me like French cars tend to do. Only

16 horses though. It had a boxer engine with a whopping 421cc.

There were some other versions of it :-)

A blast from the past:

Duaphines could also be souped up.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Wasted spark in a 2-cylinder boxer? That's horizontally opposed, but not strictly a boxer. Boxers fire opposite cylinders at the same time.

Gordini did amazing things with Renault engines. The R8 Gordinis were very dominant in rallying, and the R15 Gordini was a damn fine car too.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It was only boxer-inspired. This has a little more info under "Engine":

Maybe they were involved in the development of the Renault R5 Alpine? Those were hot cars but the quality wasn't great. They rusted fast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A boxer have separate crank pins 180 degrees apart, so they hit TDC the same time, a "flat" has shared crank pins so one piston is at TDC while the other is at BDC

the 2CV has separate cranks pins and I expect that it fires alternating left right, it has the sparkplug in series so it would be hard to get a spark if they were both in compression at the same time

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Pretty sure they were. There's a motor shop in Melbourne set up by a couple of ex Renault-rallying folk that calls itself "Alpine Affaire". They tried to sell me on an Alpine A110 - fibreglass body with a single square section chassis joining the front and rear. Noisy little car, notchy gearbox, so small you can stand by the drivers door and reach over to touch the passenger's window - but if you have the balls for it, faster than almost anything else on a twisty road.

This shop was building the 1565cc Renault engines to put out above 180BHP, naturally aspirated, in a sub-600kg car. They had moulds for the A110 bodies too, so they could make spare panels and had even made complete cars.

Also I think I meant R17 Gordini, not R15.

Reply to
Clifford Heath