Where to scavenge mu-metal?

Is this stuff prolific in old CRT monitors, or TVs? Need about a square foot or so...

Sparky

Reply to
SparkyGuy

Nope, only in higher-end legacy lab equipment. With legacy I mean >>25 years old.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Wrapped around old oscilloscope tubes. I don't think old TVs ever merited its use.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

Old oscilloscopes or the like would be your best bet for this

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:461d3fec$0$759$ snipped-for-privacy@news.aaisp.net.uk:

TV's used electroMAGNETIC deflection,which overwhelms Earth's field. Those big,short TV CRTs just are not as sensitive as a long,narrow electrostatic deflection scope CRT.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Also trying to probe my memory here. After bending it might require annealing again. AFAIR that is done in a hydrogen atmosphere, not for the faint of heart. Sounds rather dangerous, IOW don't do this at home.

All the mu-metal shields I have dealt with came pre-formed and ready to mount. This was a long time ago and considering the cost it is usually best to design a unit so it doesn't need mu-metal. If it does, then IIRC one of the large vendors was VAC in Germany (Vacuumschmelze).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Not sure how fancy the furnace needs to be, but I believe the part about requiring annealing after any rework is accurate.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I have vague memories of hearing that if you bend it (or straighten it) then it loses its special properties and needs to be re-annealed in some fancy vacuum furnace thing or something like that. If you found a weird-shaped piece of this stuff inside an old oscilloscope then I I'm not sure that you could use it unless you needed it in exactly the shape that you found it in.

There is a German place that sells little mu-metal boxes (cylindrical cans actually):

and here is some self-adhesive mu-metal foil:

Actually I suppose the existence of the mu-metal foil product brings into question whether it really matters whether you bend the mu-metal. Perhaps someone else knows for certain.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Look at old oscilloscopes.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

** Where does this jerk off get his weird ideas from ??

The laws of magnetics have not been repealed in the last 25 years.

ALL good quality scopes using CRTs have mu-metal shields.

Even ones made today.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On flat screen displays? What for? Sorry, but that would be like applying sun screen under the swimsuit.

Note that he wrote he needs a square foot. I've only seen that much in really old scopes. Newer CRT versions have a skinny shield right around the CRT and that ain't going to be enough to harvest a complete sqft from.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Back in the days of 90 degree delta-gun shadowmask tubes, an external magnetic shield most certainly was used around the bowl. The degaussing coils were usually fixed to it, and it mounted using the same four corner bolts as fixed the tube to the cabinet front. Many were my sliced fingers, from the razor-sharp edges of these shields, when I was an apprentice engaged in replacing these tubes ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

** I said **CRT ** - you FUCKING IDIOT !!!!

Try learning to read sometime !!!

** Cheap Asian made scopes usually have no mu-metal at all, just a tin plate ES shield around the neck - so they are highly subject to external AC fields.

More expensive Asian scopes ( ie 60 MHz and up) usually have a mu-metal shield on the CRT.

Examine almost any European, US or Australian made scope and you will find it has a full size mu-metal shield -excepting scopes employing PDA (Post Deflection Acceleration) where the mag shielding is not needed near the tube face.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I was looking for some mu metal one day, and someone suggested CoNetic:

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hmm. Its on topic and probably useful. Even addresses the annealing question. Are you new to SED?

Reply to
aubrey.mcintosh

foot

No, he just can't figure out which of 20 names to use.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why?

John

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

There is good reason for this. Bending, especially repeated bending could harden pure iron by introducing dislocations. The dislocations pin the magnetic domains. This is the background to the distinction between literally hard and soft magnets. Proper annealing would anneal out the dislocations.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush--about two years to go.

Reply to
Salmon Egg