where's the cheapest electricity?

I heard Google moved to Washington State for the cheap hydropower there.

That raises a question - where is the cheapest electricity available, worldwide? Is anything close to or less than 5 cents / kw-hr available?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Vancouver BC: C$.0615 /KWh plus a base charge of C$.12/day

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Well, use Google to find the information. Compliments of the Dept of Energy and your tax dollars at work:

By State:

Washington is 4.71 cents/Kw-hr while Calif is 10.59 cents/Kw-hr.

Calif to 1999.

Calif electricity costs and rates:

International statistics:

Note that some of the prices listed are before taxes, while others include taxes. Check the footnotes.

Kazakhstan 2.4 cents per Kw-hr for industrial power. Probably cheaper in OPEC countries but they're not listed.

For industrial power, yes. Taiwan, France, New Zeland, Norway, parts of USA. See list at:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'm told KY is the cheapest in the US. Their commercial rate is around $.04/kWh (residential is about twice that).

--
  Keith
Reply to

Converted to US$ (of course it depends on exchange rate but as of today):

Malaysia nationwide:

0.0626 cents /kWh up to 200 kWh 0.0830 cents /kWh for the next 800kWh 0.0896 cents /kWh for the remainder

looks like you guys have it better than me.

Reply to
slebetman

WOW. Thanks, guys.

Kazakhstan... ideal place to put that sodium hydroxide plant, eh?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The hydro better be cheap here...with all the freakn mountains + lots of rain...

Owned by BC Hydro.

2.6 Gigawatts :P

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

here in arizona, there's a "delivery" fee tacked on that is about 75% of the cost of the electricity. I wonder how many other states have such a fee.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

If you DIY, it is "free" (ignore cost of generator, etc).

Reply to
Robert Baer

We use the "time of use" schedule that PGE can set you up with. (Portland,Oregon)

0.03c/0.06c/0.09c (last I checked) depending on what time of day or night it is. Sundays are 0.03c all day.
Reply to
PhattyMo

I run all the lights and central air, and I never go much above $50 a month, even in the winter when I run some electric heaters. I have two refridgerators. Its well known around here that others who have another electric company have bills double.

greg

mrdarrett@ gmail.com wrote:

I was thinking "Depends on your production schedules". I remembered seeing a presentation on PBS and I would have sworn it was about Kazakhstan. (I realize now I was thinking about Borat.)

This one was about Tbilisi in Georgia.

*-basket-case+install-flimsy-wires-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-former-soviet-*-*-*+privatized-electricity-*-*+globalization-*-privatization+*-*-*-*-*-four-hours-*-*+disconnecting-an-airport-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-erratic-supply-*-*-*-* The pictures they showed of "the grid" were frightening. The *hours per day* thing makes me think of Iraq.

Reply to
JeffM

Georgia.http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:k3qcZwm4XtEJ:www.pbs.org/indepen...

West Virginia, Wyoming and Idaho are looking really good right about now.

I wonder if Google will open their next server farms there, or go for a Kazakhstan server farm?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Georgia.http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:k3qcZwm4XtEJ:www.pbs.org/indepen...

Oh, you want *RELIABLE* power as well as cheap? Well, that's a different story. We have NERC:

which is a big help in keeping the grid functional. Also CAISO (Calif Independent System Operators):

and of course the feds regulate everything, FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission):

"2006 Long-Term Reliability Assessment The Reliability of the Bulk Power Systems in North America"

"2006 System Disturbances Review of Selected Electric System Disturbances in North America"

I wouldn't be surprised if Google is considering building their own nuclear reactor and power generation system just to avoid the bureaucracy.

Anyways, the problem with electrical reliability comes in two parts, generation and distribution. If Google can locate their server farm near a power plant, the distribution part of the equation disappears. If the plant has a proven history of reliable operation, all the better. Location is almost incidental as it's MUCH cheaper to run a few fiber optic cables to the nearest connection exchanges, than to run power transmission lines.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Georgia.http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:k3qcZwm4XtEJ:www.pbs.org/indepen...

Kazakhstan probably has better privacy laws. 30% corporate tax rate.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Maybe electricity-wise, but isn't Malaysia one of those tropical paradises where the women run around naked? >:->

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah, but you probably shouldn't hire Borat to run it. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's a Muslim-majority country so the Malay ladies in penninsular Malaysia tend to dress fairly conservatively, but colorfully. The Chinese minority dress similar to the Chinese minority elsewhere in SE Asia (typically long hair, not covered). In island Malaysia you might run into that sort of thing among the Iban or other erstwhile "headhunter" tribes deep in the jungle, but I've been well into that country without seeing much thatlooked as you describe, even in longhouses at the Tuak (rice wine) festival time. I've heard some westerners in search of a simpler life have happily disappeared into the kampongs.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

shuffle across the carpet on anice dry day, cheap fun too!

Reply to
HapticZ

AZ Nomad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net:

We do in Ontario, Canada (about $30/month for a residential customer). Plus, the energy costs are adjusted ao we in effect are paying for the electricity as it leaves the plant, and are swallowing line losses.

Reply to
Gary Tait