where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine? - Page 2

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Ok, here's all I have from the article:

https://i.imgur.com/xDbL5rv.jpg

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

That would be trivial to assemble it on veroboard.... A few track cuts,
a few wire links... barely worth the effort to lay out a PCB.
However... Seed studio ( China) will give you 10 off for around $15 all
in, inc post.BUT you have to give them gerbers. Their PCB size is 100mm
x 100mm so will easily acomodate your design. Make top and bottom layers
the same so you get the benefit of the strength of PTH holes for the
components.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

You could scan the image and convert it to a gerber and send it to
SEEED or one of the other low-quantity board makers.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

  Depends on the age of the article and most have source information
included in the article.

  So, the FEB 1982 article on making an inband gated sync descrambler
for analog cable feeds will not likely be easy to find.

  But a newer article might be able to be found.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Why not? Surely any public library that took the magazine would have it
in storage somewhere. Failing that a copyright library.

I can't see that building one now would do you much good.

Martin Brown

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

  Not the magazine, silly.  The circuit board, which was originally
something one could order from the designer.

  I am sure the mag is available in many, many libraries around the
nation.  I never said the mag would be hard to find.  The discussion
is about PCBs.  I simply gave an example of an old article.
  It was simply an example, dufus.  I doubt that even a third world
country has any analog cable systems.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Here's an idea.  If Gerber files are not at hand, you can do your own layou
t.  FreePCB allows you to start with nothing, adding your own components an
d connecting them with your own nets.  It's easy and fun.  Than you'll have
 something to send to OSH Park.

http://www.freepcb.com/

This will produce a very good looking board for not a lot of effort and onl
y a few dollars, about as much as a six pack or a movie ticket most likely.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

There's an easier way than the suggestions so far. Use matrix board, add the tracks yourself by soldering on wires. Downside is most such board is thin and paper based. Using insulated flex rather than solid core mitigates the issues that causes somewhat.

NT

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

You can also use:  https://www.expresspcb.com/ Just download their free ed
itor, which is very easy to use, and then just draw / copy the circuit by h
and.  You don't need a Gerber file (or even a schematic).  The downside is
you are locked into buying from ExpressPCB, at least for the first order, b
ut they are relatively inexpensive.  After your first order, they will send
 you a Gerber file for free, which will allow you to buy elsewhere (such as
 JLCPCB), but if you're only going to make a few boards... why bother?

There are several other companies that provide simple proprietary editors l
ike this.  They are all priced about the same.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?
Thanks much, guys.  Upon carefully reading the original article, the
author mentions either purchasing the circuit board or using perf board.
  I think I'm going to do the latter (perf board) as I still have
leftover pieces unused from many, many years ago.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

FR4 universal prototype board, shown in use here:

http://crcomp.net/electronic/mixeramp/5.png

available here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fr4+universal+prototype

is an excellent substitute for the through hole PCBs shown in old hobby
magazines. All things considered, universal board offers the quickest,
cheapest, easiest way to build small to medium sized, one of a kind,
through hole, light power, simple circuit boards.
    In other words, the type of circuit typically found in a hobby
magazine. There's SMD carrier boards that mate with universal to
accommodate newer component packages. It's also pretty easy to solder
larger SMD resistors and capacitors to universal.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

Surface-mount adapters, like the Bellin things, can be stuck to a
piece of copperclad with sticky foam tape. The copperclad is a great
ground plane.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9av93ul8148zdjm/Z356_SN2.JPG?raw=1

One advantage is that all the connections are visible on the top side,
and you can change things without flipping the board over, like if
it's on your bench with a zillion cables connected.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?
I used to write project articles for that and other magazines.  Most of min
e didn't have a PC board design at all.  Sometimes a company such as FAR Ci
rcuits would make an arrangement with the magazine to produce and sell a PC
 board.

Nowadays, if building just one unit, I would use perfboard (probably pad-pe
r-hole) and simply lay it out as I go.  That's the quickest way.  The only
reason for wanting a printed circuit board would be if the layout was criti
cal or it was unusually complicated.  In that case, scan the image, clean i
t up, and do a toner transfer method using a laser printer, then etch.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Agreed. IIRC, Larkin uses a dental drill on copperclad to carve at least
some critical layouts. As a last resort, prior to etching, you may be
able to mount a carved copperclad critical circuit chunk to a larger
universal motherboard; Manhattan style if you glue it in place or
quasi-Manhattan with standoffs.

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;
Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Etching is slow and messy. It takes weeks to get ferric chloride
stains off fingers.

If you enjoy the process, go for it. If you want to do electronics,
there are easier ways.

Simple circuits can be done on copperclad, maybe with adapters. More
complex stuff deserves a PC board with vias and planes, which is fast
and cheap nowadays, but requires a layout. A home-etched board needs a
layout too, but resolution and adhesion are bad, no silk, no vias, no
mask, no planes, no plating. Yuk.

If you order quick-turn boards, may as well get a few.

This is pulsed high current, hundred amps or two, Manhattan.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nlhqy7c8mt2xv3/LDP2.JPG?raw=1

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Some metals are easy to plate at home.

NT

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

PCB fabrication is not electronic design.

There is free PCB software around, and outfits that will make you
several boards for $25 in 5 days.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?
Which sort of brings us back to the original poster's implicit question:

Is there a board making service that will work from a good graphic of the published design rather than Gerber files?  Or a way to turn a graphical image into a Gerber file?

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Easyeda.com can import images into the copper layer of its PCB
designer, other software probably can too, but I have tried with it.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?
 published design rather than Gerber files?  Or a way to turn a graphical i
mage into a Gerber file?

I don't know of any board houses who will use an image.  You may find some
who will work with a DXF file (I think that is the suffix for Autocad files
).  Otherwise you can just layout your own.  It's actually very, very easy
if you use an easy to use layout package like FreePCB.  Normally designers
start with a schematic in some other layout package and import the netlist
to the layout program.  But with FreePCB you don't need that.  You can manu
ally add components and then add nets to connect the pins the way you want.
  This builds the netlist internally and voila you have a layout!!!
Click the menu to make the Gerber files and there isn't much more to it tha
n that.