Can I charge my laptop with a 60W adapter instead of a 90W adapter?!

I have a laptop, and my adapter doesn't work. My laptop needs a 90W adapter. My friend has a 65W adapter of the same brand (it's a dell). Is it okay to charge your battery with another type of charger without turning the computer on?!

Thanks!

Reply to
mc.preist

If the output voltage is the same and the connector is configured the same then there should be no problem. I do it with my thinkpads and their different adapters all the time.

Reply to
iws

If the connector is exactly matched, and the voltage is exactly the same, it should work. Most likely the battery will take longer to charge.

Do not run your computer with your friend's adaptor. Only charge the battery, if it is electrically compatible as mentioned above. Because its wattage rating is lower, the lifespan of the lower wattage adaptor will be reduced, or have a strong possibility of being damaged if you run a device that requires a higher wattage.

--

JANA
_____

 wrote in message
I have a laptop, and my adapter doesn't work.
My laptop needs a 90W adapter. My friend has a 65W adapter of the same
brand (it's a dell). Is it okay to charge your battery with another
type of charger without turning the computer on?!

Thanks!
Reply to
JANA

So long as the voltage is within 10% or so and the polarity is the same, it should work fine. Do keep an eye on the temperature of the adapter to make sure it isn't getting too hot though.

Reply to
James Sweet

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT