What's with the twisted leads on the first transistor?

Usually there is good reason things aren't duplicated for tens of years. Uesually that good reason is that the economics of the first one didn't work out so well.

--
Keith
Reply to

Nice links! Thanks.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

You ain't real bright, boy.

Try IMDB and search "This Island Earth".

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You probably don't even know what high K dielectrics are.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

It is bonded at your "tip" according to the electrical diagram of it.

It looks like it is attached to me as well.

That is a zoom in on the original, hi res, which I wish was posted. I am still digging through your google search links. :-]

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You'd be wrong again, AlwaysWrong.

--
Keith
Reply to

Wooooosssshhhhhh!

--
Keith
Reply to

Some kind of cosmetics? An inexpensive aftershave?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

ChairmanOfTheBored hath wroth:

The gap was 0.002" wide, which is kinda difficult to see (and draw).

The original should be somewhere on the Alacatel-Lucent-BellLabs web pile. However, I couldn't find anything better than the URL's already posted.

Here's a useless 20MBloat video from the Bell Labs site on the invention of the xsistor. Well it does have a dark and difficult to see picture of the reproduction:

This might be more useful:

It's a 3.2MBloat JPG of the inventors showing a mess of clipleads, fanstock clips, and junk on the table. I think the original transistor might be under the microscope, but it's difficult to be certain.

See the video clip at:

It's the clearest explanation I've found so far.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yes 2 mils is hard to see even when it is right in front of you IRL.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

I couldn't find a pic of the cigarette pack sized AM radio I had back in '69. I wish I could have found it. I even did a bunch more searches. It would likely help if I could remember the brand, but I can't. I was only nine. It was pretty cool though. I think I counted eleven transistors in it. It was smaller than a non-filter cig pack by about a cm. in length, and it had a chrome face and vertical bars for the grill. Brown plastic back. It was in a movie filmed in England that aired on the Sunday flics with Kukla, Fran, and Ollie.

I miss it, 'cause I'm sure it would fetch a pretty penny now.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You've probably looked at this site already, but on the slim chance that you haven't:

There's a _lot_ of transistor radios there.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

No, I hadn't, and thank you so much for that wonderful link/site.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

I found it! THANKS!

It is actually much better quality than most of the plastic ones shown...

I miss that lil pup.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

WOW! I wish I had the whole thing, which I didn't.

"You put yer weed in there!"

Somebody in Switzerland sold one on E-Bay for $17!

DANG!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored