What is the most powerful audio output tube?

** No fooling.

** Ever see that specified by anyone?

** You on drugs ? Or maybe just an incorrigible troll.

Please go away and stay there.

And read this too:

See who wrote it??

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Seems all is fair in a game where reality has been rendered meaningless." Good one Phil!

Reply to
Rich S

Fair enought, maybe we should let an audio engineer be an audio engineer and accept the colloquialism. But it does sometimes make if difficult to discuss RF amplifier power with radio amateurs if people are determined to look for RMS power.

--

Roger Hayter
Reply to

** I suppose I could have said " ...there are lies, damn lies and loudspeaker specifications". But I know that some makers spec their drivers fairly honestly - JBL's professional series for example ( the ones with 4 digit numbers).

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nonsense. Music isn't a sine wave. Such a measurement is meaningless for an amplifier intended for audio. To drive industrial equipment, perhaps.

Reply to
krw

10% is a "normal" number.

Silly.

Red herring.

Irrelevant.

Completely off the reservation.

Of course not. Music isn't a sine wave. The ratio of the peak to average power of a sine wave is 3dB. Music tends to be more like

20dB.

More nonsense.

And just what do you think the peak to average power is of your "rock"?

The terms "RMS" and "watt" has a specific meanings. Put the two together and it describes something that doesn't have meaning in the physical world. OTOH, if you want to define "RMS watt" to me the mean distance between Pluto and Uranus, I'm fine with it (as long as you specify everything). That doesn't mean the term, itself, makes any sense.

Reply to
krw

Phew. So it's ok to continue to use baby oil then. "Contains no actual babies".

Q: How many linguists does it take to change a broken light globe?

A: 3 - one to change it, and two more to argue about what type of globe emits broken light.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Defined where ? And by who ?

Would love to see where RMS power and Average power are defined as being the same thing.

Reply to
SpongeboB Sinewave

nor

** By standards bodies like the FTC and by practice by nearly all amplifier makers.

** Consider why the RMS value of a voltage or current is useful - cos it computes the DC equivalent value of those quantities for any waveform.

So for a resistive load: average power = Vrms^2 divided by R.

Same as the DC case where power = V^2 divided by R.

So they are mathematically exactly the same.

" Only morons reverse the word order and imply that "RMS watts" are a special kind."

Are you one of them ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well Pluto isn't showing but...

Reply to
jurb6006

Doesn't really matter much which way you say it, RMS watts or watts RMS. It's commutative.

They're both technically wrong in the normal world of power even though you can calculate average power using RMS volts and RMS amps into a resistive load.

If the FTC used this term, then that is flawed as well. I know the mostly innocuous term was used a long time ago.

Reply to
SpongeboB Sinewave

Most modern 'music' seems to be square waves.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

It may seem that way. "New Age" is likely the worst.

Reply to
krw

[snip]

big sucker. 4 terminals, so I'm guessing it's a power triode for RF output, directly heated cathode. Lots of 'issues' powering it up for an audio amplifier. You'll need a center-tapped cathode supply, for starters, and a fixed bias supply for the control grid. Since the control grid [appears to be] on one of the 'cap' electrodes, it's probably designed to operate at a positive voltage for class C operation. So a Class 'A' or push-pull 'AB' might not give you the results you want. I could see AB2 maybe working, but lots of experimenting involved in making something like *THAT* "fit".

better to use KT88 or similar [like a Marshall amplifier]

(a generic schematic)

4 of them gets you 200W. I guess 8-10 would get you 500W with the right transformer.
Reply to
Big Bad Bob

make your own ;)

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On 12/08/16 11:18, bitrex so wittily quipped:

I like it already.

You win!

--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"

The 25 W UHF water cooled power tetrode in the RCA TTU-25B transmitter had a pair of 1.5V, 1000A filaments. The voltage had to be balanced to a few hundredths of a volt to prevent 60Hz hum in the visual signal.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

begin 644 RMS-Power_index_gr_1.gif M1TE&.#EAO@)!`8```````/___RP`````O@)!`0`"_XR/J,C)"AOK:HGZ M^:)ZA0NABQ6X5BLD"LS!6SJ\U'DW"TM+IAC)W'P8'6@&-NTH*8L-K"A8>STM MW;P5OH#&1QY;/IC.G6:]KG"-:H@-;Z_^0)_(Q\\>+Z"S@/C&,?@V#AW!`_2X MA3'',)Q"

Reply to
TollBob PinkNoise

Oh, nevermind.

Reply to
Trollbob Sinewave

Look at "normal" audio on a scope, sometime. You'll see that its crest factor is *huge*, bass or no bass.

Reply to
krw