What eats N channel silicon?

It doesn't. Silicon is fairly well inert to anything but hydrofluoric and its variations. Reason being, fluoride make SiF6(2-) ions, keeping it in solution; chroride doesn't, so even if it reacted, you'd just be making a bunch of silica goo, most of which would remain stuck firmly to the silicon surface. Which actually is exactly what happens, and why it doesn't eat it.

Ammonia is chlorinated, leading to noxious chloramine compounds (NH2Cl, NHCl2, NCl3). Trichloramine (nitrogen trichloride) is almost famously explosive, being in the same class as the more famous nitrogen triiodide.

Adding acid to a hypochlorite (bleach is equal parts NaOCl, NaCl and a little bit of remaining NaOH, hinting at its synthesis) releases chlorine gas. The reaction looks something like, 2NaOCl + 2HCl =3D

2NaCl + Cl2(g) + H2O. Same thing works with bleaching lime (calcium hypochlorite, which unlike sodium hypochlorite, is a stable solid, often sold for pool chlorine). Actually, all the pool chlorine products will release Cl2 when HCl is added (including H2O2).

In the lab, chlorine is often generated by dripping sulfuric or hydrochloric acid on calcium hypochlorite or TCCA (trichloroisocyanuric acid, also used for pools), a fairly controllable reaction.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

I'll throw in another address to inquire at:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Why? Chlorine is chlorine, after all.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Huh? It makes a cloud of ammonium chloride particles, aka Sal Ammoniac.

Since when is NH4CL toxic?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I only remember two news stories. One from a factory in China where that happened. Large evacuation, but IIRC 5-10 people didn't make it. Another accident was in Chatsworth, CA. I believe the one in CA resulted in a fire.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, but when two substances try to neutralize each other in milliseconds that's not a good thing to happen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'm not a chemist, but maybe it makes the _per_chlorate_ ??

...Jim Thompson

Chlorine gas was used in the Great War, by both the Germans and British, until even more effective agents were developed.

Spehro Pefhany

Rich Grise wrote: >>> Hydrochloric acid and chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite)? How does >>> that reaction work? Ammonia and chlorine bleach is the classic death in >>> a bucket. >

No it doesn't. That would be ammonia and hydrochloric acid.

Mixing ammonia and hypochlorite bleach and/or ammonia and free chlorine (which is the first reaction of many possible) is very nasty. It is the reason why they say do not mix powerful cleaning products.

NCl3 is an unstable toxic liquid high explosive like NI3 only it is inclined to detonate when hit by light, rather than by a feather. BBC had a short article on the main possible reactions a while back. It is a seriously bad idea to do it outside of a fume cupboard.

One of the reaction products is carcinogenic. The others are choking toxic gasses and one is a very tetchy high explosive.

A little knowledge is dangerous, but no knowledge at all masquerading as an authoritative statement of fact could be deadly. The reaction is fast, violent and seriously dangerous in a confined space like a toilet.

You are headed for a Darwin award.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've used lasers to blast passivation. Of course, hell if I know more than just how to turn the dials. But if you are going to blast a hole with a laser, maybe you have one that can thin out the passivation first.

I can vouch for Acurel should you decide to go that route. Very professional group.

Reply to
miso

Ironically, mustard gas, first used in warfare, led to a life-saving chemotherapy drug used widely in cancer and autoimmune diseases:

AIUI someone noticed that a soldier with Wegener's Granulomatosis-- a nasty, then-fatal autoimmune vasculitis--miraculously improved after getting gassed...

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

I heard a muffled boom south east of here.

Rich? *RICH??!*

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

snipped-for-privacy@uakron.edu wrote: : he gets the grant. I want to thin a small spot on the backside of the : chip (and its a big easy to handle sensor die) before blasting a : tiny via in it with a Q switched yag or Excimer laser. This is a : : I'll probably clean it with H202/Piranha first.

Piranha sounds good. In your application the trilogy etch may be too slow. You would actually be best off with the deep RIE. The pyramide-shaped opening created by anisotropic KOH etch (I assume your wafer is

-oriented) would also be nice in this application - you could even make the hole depth self-limiting - but creation of an etch mask which can stand KOH would be a bit problematic in this case. Spinning the resist on a diced chip is cumbersome, and I understood that you don't have access to a decent microfabrication facility for hardmask deposition.

You knew of Mosis, and someone mentioned Europractice. I'm not sure whether you share with Jim Thompson the dislike of us leftist weenies, especially of the French, but if you can suppress that momentarily, one more place to look is

. They often seem to provide interesting processes not available through Mosis or Europractice. Even them are unlikely to handle pre-diced customer chips, but you may want to double-check whether there are any leads in their web pages.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

Thanks guys, it turns out that we have 2 MEMs fabs within 2 hours drive, so unless there is a disaster in the funding process, I think we can have it done. Who would have thunk it, Ohio, the technological black hole, has fabs.

One is Midwest Microdevices, and it looks like what we need done is child's play for them.

For plan B, I will run some tests with what I have learned here, as we have a batch that a university fab in California goofed up. They didn't put down the SiO2 under the gold, and it diffused and ruined batch one.

The fun part will be centering a hole between 2 traces 10u Apart. In a previous job, I did a project to center a laser on a STM tip, so I think I can hit the spot.

BTW, I used to be a leftist weenie, then I experienced the old joke, "A Conservative is a liberal that got shot at a few times"

So I can get along with both sides.

A special thanks to Mr/Dr Atnarivik...

Steve

Reply to
osr

Probably a "self-aligning" etch?

A conservative is a liberal who discovered the benefits of working for a living ;-)

...Jim Thompson

snipped-for-privacy@uakron.edu kirjoitti:

A pleasure. Was not aware about the black hole part, although I once worked half a year at Mead labs in Chillicothe...

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

You snipped the line I was responding to: "Ammonia and chlorine bleach".

Clorine bleach is only sodium hypochlorite.

Thanks anyway, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's OK - I only use chlorine bleach in the laundry, and seldom if ever use ammonia; for windows I use Windex, and for cat stench I use white vinegar, but the two are never in proximity to each other.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But then you're used to inhaling toxic chemicals

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany