Goot Soldering Station

I am about to purchase a temperature controlled soldering station.

Seems that the Hakko936 are very well known.

However, I have been unable to find any feedback on Goot stations.

These are sold in Australia by Jaycar.

Anybody tried these?

How do they measure up to Hakko's?

TIA, Neo.

Reply to
Neo

I bought a GOOT 240V iron and was disappointed. Temp was very low, when I opened it up to try and tweak the internal trimpot, I discoverted the guts were shoved down the handle so that reassembly was difficult. Thing went bang and I binned it. Low voltage types may be good, though

Roger

Reply to
Roger Lascelles

Go for the Hakko. You'll be guaranteed to get spares in the future along with a whole range of tips and accesories. The Hakkos are very reliable too, you simply cannot go wrong buying a Hakko.

Anything Jaycar sell will certainly be inferior to the Hakko.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Dunno bout Goot, but if you can find Weller stations in Oz, they won't disappoint. Depending on where you buy, Weller stations can cost a bit more than others, but in my experience they've proven very durable and reliable over the decades.

Ray L. Volts

more

Weller has made excellent stuff in the past, though lately their quality has slipped. I'd second the recommendation for a Hakko, we have a 936 in the lab at work and it's excellent.

Reply to
James Sweet

go for the Hakko 942. The tips are hot-pluggable (pun intentional), and the iron performs almost as well as my Metcal (but cost 10x less). Dynamic thermal response is excellent, as the temperature sensor and heater are right at the probe tip.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Hakko or Xytronic both very good and can get spares easily.

Have a Xytronic 988D sitting on my desk , has worked flawlessly.

For tip cleaning , the dry type tip cleaners (look like left overs from turning copper) work well and avoid needing a wet sponge or replacement sponges.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Alex, does the solder waste stick to the dry tip cleaners? Is it easy to clean the solder from the "swarf", ie shaking it?

Reply to
dmm

Hakko is discontinuing the 936 in favor of one with a digital display, which otherwise looks the same. I found a supplier of what appears to either be an exact copy or the same unit made by Atten in China. The company is Acifica and sells the 936 for about half ($48.00) of what you will find the Hakko. Even the internal parts list for the tips was identical, so I wonder if these folks are making them for Hakko. The parts seem to interchange fine.

Leonard

reliable

has

lab

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Yes. They clean up pretty well. Depends how much excess solder you use.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson