Weird Repetitive Crashing

I'm getting a crash that almost always is instigated while surfing a graphically busy page (using Firefox), though other programs have (rarely) caused it to fail.

It manifests itself as frozen raggedy looking video, OR a full POR like you pressed the reset button.

What do you think... bad power supply or bad memory?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Could be the memory on the graphics card :-(

Did you try with another browser such as the IE that usually comes with PCs?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Sounds like my laptop last year...The cooling fan was not blowing and the thermal pads were ineffective due to age. I rewired the fan to switched 5V and removed the thermal pad from both the CPU and the GPU, replacing these with thermal grease.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Hmmmm! That's worth checking. I've had another PC with a fan that ran "on occasion" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I used my finger nail to scratch off the greatest portion of the thermal pads. Then I mounted the brush on my Dremel to get the last bits. I blew the debris out then wiped the ICs with acetone before applying the thermal grease.

Good luck with your repair!

Reply to
Lord Garth

Bad cooling on the processor chip and/or video card. try SPEEDFAN (use google to get it), to show temperatures inside.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I use the Gecko suite and have had a similar problem.

Can't help you there.

If it can be traced to certain sites, try Opera on those. (Gecko-based browsers are notorious for their memory leaks.) Alternately, AdBlock the images on the offending sites or shut down Gecko more often.

Reply to
JeffM

I've had the same problem on my Win2k box. It could be a bug in the version of Firefox we have loaded.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

See if there is an updated video driver.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Also possibly a hardware issue with the video card.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

All the thermal pads I've encountered on CPUs so far dissolved fairly easily with cellulose thinners - which leaves the surfaces absolutely pristine ready for silver loaded heat transfer paste., any kind of wire brush or abrasive is probably a very bad idea!

Reply to
ian field