Weird LLC current limiter

I have just found this pretty bizarre idea:

It uses a transformer to limit the voltage swing at the resonant capacitor. Great, but why wouldn't they use a bidirectional TVS for the same purpose? That wouldn't result in a paper, eh, would it?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Well, a TVS would waste a fuckton of power.

Transformer sucks, way too much added componentry. Also introduces another LC resonance. Can be made low (large magnetizing inductance) but won't go away.

How about a charge pump (e.g., half wave doubler) into DC link? Can work with the half bridge cap divider too.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

Also I think this idea is not quite new, did I not see 50 Hz resonant circuit with similar stabilization method in the sixties?

As to papers, those come on a roll here. But you gotta give it to them, it did not say: "More funding for this would bring the kwantuum computah much closer'.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Those authors have published reams of related papers, exploring the entire space as it occurs to them and they take the time. I have saved quite a few of them, some are quite useful.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win