website for bids on a design wanted!

Do you mean that is perfectly normal to design a circuit in ones head (in a manner of 1-2 seconds) as someone is describing what kind of a thinggie they need?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I read in sci.electronics.design that Robert Baer wrote (in ) about 'website for bids on a design wanted!', on Mon, 28 Mar 2005:

It is for some people. For some of THEM, a lot depends on experience. But I've noticed that when Fred Bloggs is in a 'mural' phase, a response, with mural (a very large ASCII schematic), appears extremely quickly after the original enquiry. I suspect that at least some of these solutions DO spring, 'fully-formed' into his mind. To what extent Win has the same experience, I wouldn't venture to speculate.

The Welsh have a word for it, it's the state of mind of a bard when he is inspired by his 'awen' (Muse). I have experienced it (in electronics) successfully twice. In both cases, a problem was described to me and the non-trivial solution instantly appeared in my mind - no reasoning or calculation at all.

Of course, you do get false inspirations as well, but there is a difference; you 'know' that the real ones are true, without a shadow of doubt. It's like 'lightning calculation', I feel sure, and I sometimes get it when searching for an anagram - a true anagram 'feels' correct.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Not Aladek Wrinvy?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I've had similar sorts of experiences, though the process of exploring the solution and finding out how each little bit was going to work could take months.

One of the funnier versions was a four amplifier driver for a platinum resistance sensor (which included a first order non-linearity correction based on a smidgin of positive feedback) which I then had to re-design in a three-amplifier version (with passive filters) and a two-amplifier version (with high-gain uA725 amplifiers rather than OP101's) to keep my boss happy. The four amplifier version finally won out.

The idiot who took over the design didn't see the point of the six close-ratio and close-tracking 10k thin film resistors on a common substrate which had been the core of the design, and dumped them for - marginally cheaper - discrete resistors. He also dumped the positive feedback - due to the risk of oscillation! - and used a couple of diode breaks to deal with the non-linearity.

-------------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman