webcam viewer?

In ancient times, Windows would open a webcam and show you what's going on .

I'm unfortunately running Win11 now. Can anyone recommend a good webcam viewer?

I just got a decent, affordable termal imager with close-up lens. The user interface and instructions are of course obtuse. I managed to get it to save snaps to its SD card, and can open them, but I'd like to run it in webcam mode too.

VLC Media Player can't seem top find the imager when it's set to cam mode.

Reply to
john larkin

Do you know which protocol it is? Rrsp, Rtp?

Martin Rid

If it is a webcam, it will have a built-in web server with an IP address.

I think you have a USB cam, not a web cam.

I use AMCAP to view USB cameras, such as borescopes, microscopes etc.

Reply to
Robert Roland

Yes, it is usb cam. It's a Uni-T Pro thermal imager. It can be set to work as a live cam (which I can't get to work) or as a USB memory device that saves images to an SD card. That mode barely works and is very weird.

Decent thermal imaging, nice snap-on close-up lens, ghastly embedded software.

Reply to
john larkin

On windows 10 Yawcam works OK for me. Don't know about 11, you say it won't show up in the file explorer directory tree so it is uncharted territory for me.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

WebcamViewer finds it and tries to open it and says it's broken.

It does appear as a USB memory stick. To save an image file, pull the trigger twice, unplug the USB cable, and plug it back in.

File explorer "refresh" doesn't work.

Why is software continuously getting worse?

Reply to
john larkin

I use 'Digital Viewer' for a USB microscope, but have found it works with any USB camera I've tried.

It's not very complicated, so may work.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Oh that's easy. Because they have been piling shit over heaps of shit for decades now.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Well these and other details amount to what I keep on saying about shit and piles of it. Look at the sheer amount of memory they *waste*. I don't know what they do - as you know I live on another "planet" for software - but I strongly suspect they keep on putting everything on the stack which ends up full of what is effectively waste as most of it gets accessed once in minutes of not days. The thought of what the mass software looks like - be it MS or FOSS - just makes me sick, I am glad I went my own way all these decades ago. Cost me several fortunes I guess but people have spent many times that and don't have a fraction of what I have - which I will likely carry into the grave, so what.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

On 4/1/24 04:19, Don Y wrote: [...]

On Linux, when I do something in a directory that contains a mountpoint to a remote file system, it often slows to a crawl. I suspect it tries to stat() every damn remote file, despite doing nothing useful with the data. GUI 'open' or 'save' dialogs are the worst offenders. I have to be careful not to stray into such directories using GUI programs. This is a nuisance.

A traditonal command shell does not usually misbehave in that way, fortunately.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

It's not NFS. The problem manifests itself in both openafs and sshfs. It's the GUI file dialogs that ask for far more information than they really need. It's vexing, because those same dialogs also tend to hide information that I *do* need. (Where did it put my files??)

As I said, I avoid directories with active mount points in them when using GUI programs. It's still annoying, because it forces me to put mount points in subdirectories, which I would not have needed to do if these dialogs had been better designed.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman