We would not be here were it not for DTSS

too broken to get that his brain is broken. It's called NPD. Lots of vids on youtube about it for anyone that cba to read.

Reply to
tabbypurr

You are thicker. The PDP-8 wasn't remotely room-sized, and your grasp of what was going on is - to put it kindly - over-simplified.

Whoever taught you computer history seems to cut his material back to keep it within grasp of a rather dumb class.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Sadly, the problem is that you did miss a lot, and it shows.

Complaining about people pointing it out doesn't make you look any better-informed. Your time would be more usefully spent getting better-informed, but that would cut into the time you can spend on pretending that you know what you are talking about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There are many kinds of BASIC implementations.

Some interpret the source line each time it is executed.

Some interprets a new line to an intermediate language and this intermediate code is used each time the statement is executed e.g. in a FOR loop.

Some compile it to machine instructions as a FORTRAN or ALGOL compiler will do. From several sources, it appears that DTSS BASIC was compiled like ALGOL.

Reply to
upsidedown

The students at Dartmouth collage in 1964 could not be labeled as "masses" when they were running BASIC or ALGOL. Perhaps closest to "masses" came those high-scool students, who had remote access to this computer.

Reply to
upsidedown

grammers, resulting in lots of software development later. What kinda dunce can't see that I don't know, but there ya go.

There were lots of programmers before primary school teachers got into tryi ng to teach it to their pupils. It is a skill that can be learned in later life, and you are less likely to acquire bad habits if you acquire it then.

BASIC was essentially FORTRAN, cut down to shrink the compiler.

It's got no other obvious advantage as a teaching tool, and if it persists in computer science classes, it is for the same reason that elementary elec tronics classes still use the 741 and the 555 - nobody has bothered to rewr ite the course notes around anything better.

Really? BASIC was a very primitive language, and it only survives because s ome people never got around to learning anything better.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Narcissistic Personality Disorder. One of the symptoms is that the sufferer thinks that everybody understands character strings like NPD in the same way that he does, so they don't see the point in spelling them out.

I'm sure that NT finds the subject fascinating, but he's too proud of his imagined prowess to notice that he's a text-book example of the problem.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Narcissistic Personality Disorder. One of the symptoms is that the sufferer thinks that everybody understands character strings like NPD in the same way that he does, so they don't see the point in spelling them out.

I'm sure that NT finds the subject fascinating, but he's too proud of his imagined prowess to notice that he's a text-book example of the problem.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

No it wasn't Alick Glennie's Autocode for the Manchester Mark 1 computer in 1952 was arguably the first ever compiled language. Other computer labs may disagree about exactly whose was the first. Autocode Mk1 went on to be used on the Ferranti Mercury line of computers. Only the very largest businesses and national laboratories could afford to run one.

He's another of those unsung heroes that nobody has ever heard of.

Even his Wiki entry is a bit sparse.

The physical size and sheer difficulty of keeping them running kept computers out of all but a few enthusiast hands until the advent of the home computer. A few dedicated chips to play ping pong arrived first.

that I can recall but it required fairly deep pockets at the time.

(and a fair degree of skill with a soldering iron)

Until the Sinclair MK14 there really were no affordable home computers of any sort in the UK. Affordable and capable mass market things like the TI99/4, BBC Micro and ZX80 didn't appear until the 1980's. Not long after that most homes had one if only for teenagers to play games on.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

AGAIN, you RETARDED FUCK!!! It did not even come out until the middle of 1965.

Your grasp of the timeline is munged because of your retarded attitude.

I was writing in assembler as a kid, back when you were watching others use computers.

You're a goddamned idiot. You == classless.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

BASIC FOR loops STILL reference and jump to line numbers.

It is an interpreted language.

There were some psuedo-compilers made. But that is what they were... PSUEDO. They were reliant on additional modules being added to a system in most cases.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There were no students at Dartmouth running either, save for some post grad student on ALGOL. The "masses" thing came as a result of DTSS AND BASIC, and it was NOT compiled. It was specifically a departure from ALGOL. The students got 'live sessions' at their terminals, and the code was read line by line. If you want to call that being compiled... The only thing about BASIC or any of our languages that is ALGOL like is the syntactic structure languages use.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news:f64588f4-cc6c-4b12- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

BASIC was NOT a compiled language, you stupid f*ck.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are a true idiot.

Teaching kids by starting with learning elements such as the Altair or &$ series IC chips or the 555 timer is actually essential, you stupid f*ck.

Being simple, the 555 timer allows the teaching of the essentials for that kind of integrated circuit operational paradigms. Using something more advanced will not serve that goal.

I posted a link to an ATTINY10 microcontroller. Far more complicated than a 555. But a fresh kid would learn a lot more from learning about the 555, and THEN stepping toward something that complicated. A LOT MORE.

You are jaded... or wait... that's right. You are just plain stupid.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You obviously have no clue what he means by "computing today". Oh and we did not need a dumbfuck like you to tell us how primitive the language is. WE ALL ALREADY KNOW THE LEVEL IT IS POSITIONED AT. We ALSO know what its influence was, and you obviously do NOT.

That despite the fact that you are sitting at a PC or laptop that would very likely not exist had the popularity of PCs not caused the industry to bloom.

An IBM PC was 5 to 10 thousand dollars each. Clones were not. Console computers were not. Gaming consoles were not. All were affordable for the consumer, and all ran BASIC. The entire industry came from consumer demand starting with small businesses and rich folk's kids. It took over where RC planes were in rich kid USAdom.

You are a Trumpesque, never exposed to reality intelligence compromised old fogey, with more than a few misconceptions about more than few things about the world. Whereas I was there and watched it happen and participated, unlike you standing by watching others make use of the world while you interloped your way into the science community.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:r1c385$13tn$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

74 series. Can't shift-capitalize numerals!
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Actually Basic originated at Dartmouth as a time share system run on a main frame. And the article presents it as the first time share system. Time sharing did change the world to some extent.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Good stuff, thanks.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Indeed. BASIC was great, FORTRAN's mindset was inflexible, fossilized & sclerotic; fat-headed.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

And it did not TRANslate FORMulae, just used a stack to evaluate the results as it stepped through an expression.

But I think Bill was referring to lexical similarity, and I think I can see that. It certainly wasn't pretending to be an Algol derivative.

Unfortunately.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath