Water sensor - dynamic thermal resistance sensor

My new DE is all fiberglass. The original wasn't stainless, just some kind of coated steel.

...Jim Thompson

Came with the house. What can I say? But I did end up suing the builder for other infractions that he refused to fix. Cleaned his case... besides his own legal expenses he had to pay mine plus pay to ME a $5000.00 fine AND fix all the problems.

Fiberglass and "plastic" are different animals.

...Jim Thompson

This wasn't "punitive" in the usual sense. The judge ruled that the builder was a liar and _fined_ him $5000.00 payable to me and an additional $5000.00 payable to the court ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Klaus,

Cheaper? A current sensor could be done with a current transformer and burden resistor. If that's too expensive you could buy the toroids and wind your own which should drop the materials cost to less than a buck. Or a few Kroner in Viking currency ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Klaus,

Ahem, I respectfully disagree. Read about a software system bug that sent a large military vessel crashing into a rocky island:

A few million Dollars later a lesson had been learned.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Yes, but pressure sensing is more expensive than current sensing. Plus it needs to be plumbed in and the tap-off tube to the sensor gets clogged and it stops sensing (happened in our pump house).

Probably just the usual float switch.

Draining a pool? Now I know why we are always short of water in the west. Out here nobody would dare to do that since the water bill would be excruciating. We keep the chems balanced despite evaporation. My test kit measures seven parameters and at least once a year we carry a sample to the store where they do more tests, to see what needs to be balanced out. Since our last pool guy just disappeared I began doing it myself and for some reason now the pool store never finds an imbalance. No more scaling of the walls either.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Yes, that can be a problem. For the equipment, too.

The pool can drop 1/2" on a hot and windy summer day. In summer we need to replensih at least twice a week, right now it's down to once a week.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello John,

ROFL!

Seriously, I don't know why he did that. He bought the pool route from another guy and AFAIK he must have paid a good five-digit sum for that number of customers. Beats me how somebody can simply let that investment go instead of selling it.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'Water sensor - dynamic thermal resistance sensor', on Fri, 7 Oct 2005:

Did you check the pH? Maybe he dissolved.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'Water sensor - dynamic thermal resistance sensor', on Fri, 7 Oct 2005:

That's odd. You are in a volcanic area, so where does the calcium come from?

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'Water sensor - dynamic thermal resistance sensor', on Fri, 7 Oct 2005:

Try going downwards a mile or two. (;-)

John Woodgate

Hello Jim,

Wow, you really do have a calcium issue with your water.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

We have a huge stainless steel DE tank. Every time I take it apart I am amazed how little corrosion there is, considering what some companies call "stainless" these days. So far we only lost one element and I was surprised I could still order it at a decent price, $40 or so.

The pump is the kicker. From 1970, AFAIK on the second motor but the pump housing is original. It looks like it was designed in the days of steam locomotives. The impeller is kind of shot but I am skittish about replacing it since I was told the replacements are plastic. So I moved it outwards as much as the seal would allow.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Coated steel isn't going to work for a pool. I'd have the guy that installed it ... well, you know.

Fiber is good as long as it doesn't get hit by direct sun. Some folks here have their pool equipment in the open and then everything plastic deteriorates over time.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

In CA the gvt plans to confiscate the lion's share of the punitive. Or maybe they already do.

The fibers may last forever but it's the resins in there that fail. And once they do the thang starts to leak. See it a few times. It does last much longer than regular plastics or they wouldn't make airplanes from it (but where the paint job must be kept up at all times).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Oh, rats - this is no fun:

In fact, I think I first saw it in "Reader's Digest", like they mention.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

When I was a kid a neighbor's wife DID run off with the milkman.

Made for some very uncomfortable moments, we were friends with both families ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Probably the same syndrome I learned about in Kirby Vacuum class - "If a naked lady answers the door, FIRST SELL THE VACUUM CLEANER, then dilly-dally." Don't rich bored housewives typically run off with the pool guy? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Rich,

Barney Hefner's wife in "All in the Family" ran off with the exterminator.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I read in sci.electronics.design that Joerg wrote (in ) about 'Water sensor - dynamic thermal resistance sensor', on Sat, 8 Oct 2005:

More sensible to go for the ex-Terminator.

John Woodgate