Walmart suing Tesla for Solar panel fires

GB would have run out of food and ammo and aviation gas if the US had not entered on their side before Pearl Harbor. That proposition could be discussed without crude name-calling.

Some Brit-originated but US developed technology was important too, like radar and sonar and proximity fuses.

Reply to
jlarkin

The US didn't enter WW2 before Pearl Harbour. The Lend-Lease Act in 1940 did provide some support to countries fighting Nazi Germany, and American isolationists didn't like it.

Radar was not only originated in the UK, but also largely developed there. At one point I worked for the guy - Alan Butement - that invented the proximity fuse.

That was developed in the US as a direct consequence of the Tizard mision.

When - later - I was working at EMI Central Research, I got to hear about Alan Dower Blumlein who invented a whole host of stuff.

He was a crucial figure in the development of centimetric airborn Radar systems (H2S) and ended up dying when a bomber crashed after a fight trial.

The US developed their own system (in close collaboration) but the UK system got there first.

Sonar development presents much the same kind of picture.

The UK started work on it during WW1. The US seems to have started later. During WW2 there was development on both side of the Atlantic, and the UK work was real and substantial and resulted in equipment that got deployed in significant numbers.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That's totally correct, and the details make fascinating reading. It's incredible how important the magnetron was.

They carried final working versions, seeking to quickly take advantage of manufacturing capabilities in the U.S.

I've written here about the 5D21 tube, and its amazing 20kV 15A capability. Using four of them, with a pulse- forming transformer, to pulse magnetrons to 250kW, was an important part. Maybe that was developed in the U.S.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The Varian brothers invented the klystron in California; that was the critical LO of a microwave radar superhet. MIT did some cool mixer and duplexer and waveguide stuff, essentially inventing modern electronics in the process.

Dorothy Varian's book is worth reading too.

Yikes, look at the price. I have an autographed copy!

Reply to
jlarkin

Scarcely. The subject line of the thread is

"Walmart suing Tesla for Solar panel fires"

John Larkin is always inviting people to "to show some electronics that you have designed".

This is merely a put-down, based on his delusion that he designs a lot of electronics, and that every last little variation in his product line is interesting and novel.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Aug 30, 2019, Winfield Hill wrote (in article ):

Yes. Raytheon (in the Boston area, near MIT) figured out how to make magnetrons on the needed industrial scale. The UK version took a skilled machinist a month to make one unit. Aside from the expense, this approach could not make nearly enough magnetron tubes to support a war effort.

The key innovation was to make the copper body out of a stack of copper punchings furnace-brazed into a solid body, rather than machining the solid body from a single block of copper. It is this industrial invention that transformed Raytheon into a defense prime contractor.

. .

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

This is a good version of the story:

along with Watson-Watts book of course.

Reply to
jlarkin

My dad retired from the 'Corregated Paper Box' industry. The company he worked for farmed millions of trees to ensure a steady supply of pulpwood. Some of them on land that had been grassland prior to them turning it into tree farms.

Before modern man came to this continent, lightning started fires that burned until the fuel ran out. Even then, morons would start fires to drive wild animals out into the open to hunt them.

Reply to
Michael Terrell