Walmart suing Tesla for Solar panel fires

You snipped a couple of examples that contraindicated your point.

Unimpressive.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I replied to your post by adding three words. I didn't snip anything.

If you look back, my message included "It isn't a recent phenomenon either. Errol Flynn infamously fought the Japanese to a standstill in Burma. And it continues with U571 etc."

Your reply omitted that.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Was that really important to you? What did a reference to a war movie contraindicate?

Did the Brits never make war movies with British heroes?

EF was Australian anyhow.

More mindless anti-Americanisms.

"If you save someone's life, they will hate you forever."

So?

The movie was American. The characters were American The movie's intent was to lie by claiming the US had made achievements that were actually made by other countries.

Ditto U571 and others.

That's a pattern of lying, and the under educated buy the lies.

I wish fundamentalist Christians would get that message.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

te:

te:

ote:

the USSR.

d second

t not

without

rld from

t.

ave beaten

efore Japan

domination

efeat.

. He was

e critical

He was certainly born in Tasmania of Australian-born parents, but his first successes as an actor were in the UK, and he moved to Hollywood when he wa s 26, in 1935, and while he moved between the US and Europe after that he d oesn't seem to have gone back to Australia at all.

When he played American heroes in American films, he wasn't propagating the idea that Australians had won WW2 on their own.

Mindless Americans do encourage anti-Americanism.

If you falsely claim to have saved someone's life they will despise you for ever.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I wish people in this ng would discuss electronics. I know serious, interesting people who dismiss s.e.d. as a mess of insults and curses, which it mostly is.

My comment about the locality of electronic innovation was an observation of what I see as fact, but became an anti-American rant.

There are reasons why a lot of invention happens in the USA, and especially a few places in the USA.

Designed anything fun lately? Show us.

There is too much of that, but the content is worth waiting for!

Nah. You are just interpreting it that way.

Lots of innovation occurs elsewhere, and the inability to recognise that is a weakness that can lead to long-term loss.

That's been a known syndrome for 2.5 millennia at least. Hubris followed by nemesis, and all that.

Yup, but not /only/ in the USA.

For the future, China and the Chinese can be remarkably resourceful, and it behooves us all to recognise that before we wake up and find they've eaten our lunch.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I guess calling the inhabitants of a country "hustlers" is just being objective.

But disproportionally so. There must be cultural reasons.

The Chinese seem to prefer going after the mass export markets, for established demand products, to build giant enterprises owned by the kids of the politicos. I don't see much small-scale innovation, which is where the Next New Thing often comes from. Not a lot of big started-in-a-garage enterprises. Maybe they don't have enough garages.

One interesting thing that happened in the USA was, after WWII, kilotons of wartime electronics was deliberately dumped on the surplus market to seed a generation of kids. As in PMTs and klystrons for 99 cents, exotic CRTs and flashtubes and sniperscope tubes for a few dollars. It worked.

Tech centers also have serious positive feedbacks, often seeded by one company or one university. MIT and Stanford were big here; Oxford in the UK. San Francisco is now drowning in positive feedback.

That was bitrex's comment, not mine.

I'll accept responsibility for my own statements, but not for other peoples'.

I suspect some Merkins (?D Trump?) would be more than happy to be described as a hustler, and would regard it as a complement.

/Currently/ disproportionately.

At other times in the past, no.

At other times in the future?

I remember similar sentiments being used to dismiss the Japanese, back in the early 70s.

But innovation isn't the be-all and end-all of "success" and "fortune".

Seems /stuff/ is pretty cheap in China, and current /stuff/, not obsolete /stuff/.

Be careful of falling into the trap of unjustified hubris. There's nothing magic about the US, even if many things did come together in the second half of the /last/ century.

... just as they did in the UK in the 19h century.

Cambridge more than Oxford, please :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Merkin is a gross insult.

You snipped my invitation to show some electronics that you have designed. That is the topic here.

rote:

rote:

d the USSR.

and second

but not

it without

world from

hat.

have beaten

before Japan

se domination

defeat.

me. He was

the critical

.

You are a major contributor to the noise here. I'm not sure you've ever se en an off topic thread you didn't like. If you don't like the off topic po sts, why do you make so many, like this exact one???

Anti-Larkin is not anti-American. People call you on your BS and you see i t as an attack on the US. I think they call that wrapping yourself in the flag.

That's your assertion. Others have pointed out many exceptions to your "pr inciple". Heck, the foundations of computing aren't exclusive to the US in any real way. The UK uses computers far more than pretty much anyone in W WII, mostly to break the German codes.

You always return to that *after* you get tired of trying to defend a point . Perhaps you should ask that of yourself before contributing to off topic threads.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

rote:

rote:

d the USSR.

and second

but not decisive - help at the end.

it without help from the allies, though their help was very useful.

world from Japanese domination - the Japanese army and navy weren't up to t hat.

have beaten them without help, but it hadn't been beaten into insignifican ce before Japan attacked the US. They might not have saved the world from J apanese domination on their own, but they certainly contributed to Japan's eventual defeat.

me. He was probably taught it at primary school, and still hasn't mastered the critical thinking skills required to reject this kind of indoctrination .

.

People that John Larkin finds serious and interesting, which is to say peop le who flatter him. He doesn't get the flattery he feels he deserves here, which he experiences as insults and curses.

Not exactly anti-American as anti-Larkin parochialism.

Larkin lives close by and gets to observe them happening. Lots of invention s happen outside of the US, and John Larkin doesn't get to find out about t hem.

So you can pirate it and tout it as an American invention?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin's sense of proportion is decidedly pro-American.

There aren't a lot of big started in-a-garage enterprises anywhere.

Really? How?

Cambridge seeded Silicon Fen, Glasgow and Edinburgh Silicon Glen.

I know about them because I was there. John Larkin wasn't and doesn't. I ne ver got close enough to the Dutch and Belgian equivalents, but John Larkin has done stuff for AMSL's photolithography gear which is close to the Dutch technical university in Eindhoven (though it was more driven by Philips th an the university).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin would like that to be the topic. He wants "his design a new one in two weeks" output to be respected. It's simple enough to fit into the ten line post format, but mostly too simple to be interesting.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I snipped it because it was a transparent attempt to deflect the conversation away from what *we* had been

*discussing* in this thread/sub-thread.

If you don't want to have insulting false statements challenged, e.g. On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 3:43:00 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote: "Hustlers don't invent or build stuff. Americans do. Hustlers don't save the world from Germany (twice) and Japan and the USSR." then don't make the insulting and false statements!

It is not as if you couldn't have predicted they would be challenged, since they've been challenged before and will be challenged again.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

While I don't always agree with Rick C, all those points are relevant, eloquent and correct.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I confess. It was a crude, futile attempt to deflect you on-topic.

Reply to
jlarkin

An easier way would have been for you to avoid OT posts that stir things up in the first place.

If you don't want to have insulting false statements challenged, e.g. On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 3:43:00 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote: "Hustlers don't invent or build stuff. Americans do. Hustlers don't save the world from Germany (twice) and Japan and the USSR." then don't make the insulting and false statements!

It is not as if you couldn't have predicted they would be challenged, since they've been challenged before and will be challenged again.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Not really. There is a lot of innovation that happens outside the USA, you choose to ignore it. I seem to recall the blue LED wasn't invented in the US.

It is truly amazing sometimes how ignorant you choose to be. I mean, this literally is your choice since it is so easy to educate yourself on such to pics.

Garage startups may happen in a new industry since there is lots of low han ging fruit to pick. Larkin is focusing on a few examples of that in the US ignoring all the many, many examples in other countries. He also knows vi rtually nothing outside of electronics, so none of the other areas of scien ce and technology show on his radar.

Yes, it worked to get rid of the surplus electronics.

More recently any kid who can afford a PC can get into all manner of intere sting software development which is where most of the advances in technolog y will appear going forward. There just aren't many types of transistors r emaining to be invented. Maybe some new LED colors. Any x-ray LEDs yet?

How about some folks here work on something that might actually be signific antly important, like better controllers for solar cells that yield a highe r output? Oh wait, Canadian researchers already did that.

Too bad other places don't have universities.

Too bad you virtually never trip your posts.