Vuvuzela

Wow. That's pretty spartan all right!

I wonder if soldiers in basic training these days get to retain, e.g., their cell phones, MP3 players, Gameboys/PSPs, etc. during basic training? I know those items are quite popular with the active duty guys out in Afghanistan.

That must have been quite a shock, the first few weeks, for some of the guys. :-)

Although this was back when most of the guys were ~20, wasn't it? -- So many of them couldn't legally drink anyway?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

4:14:35 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

rst

it's a well-defined term ...

... and it doesn't have to be an integer harmonic (and it ain't for sources like bells).

r b-j

Reply to
robert bristow-johnson

14:14:35 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

If Bill gates had a dime for every windows machine that crashed...
Wait a minute, he does!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

first=20

constant=20

I remember those from 40 to 50 years ago. They cost about a dollar back then.

Reply to
JosephKK

first=20

constant=20

Really classic. They have just learned to be careful what you wish for, just in case you get it.

Reply to
JosephKK

[...]

I did click on those but other than a blank screen with "no video" nothing happens. When I do that at our church site (also MP3) it works. Same screen but the sermon comes out of the speakers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They push you as far as they can every day. By the end of the day, you barely have time to get a shower before Taps. We couldn't even have a deck of cards until the sixth week. That was just a few days before the end of basic.

It depended on the state, and sometimes the county. In the early '70s they sold 3.2% beer which was legal at 18, in some places. Of course the 3.2% cost as much as the 6% so all it meant was they had to spend twice as much to get drunk.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When I click on the icons, I get a menu asking if I want to play then file, or save it. You need a program to play the MP3 files. On XP it's Windows Media Player. You need to see what program mp3 files are associated with. I can put a couple on ABSE if you want to save them and see what the problem is. It sounds like some program has screwed up your 'file associations'.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Liquor laws were, and always have been, all over the map (NPI). Illinois dropped the legal age for beer and wine from 21 to 19 two weeks after I turned

21 (no matter, none of the campus bars carded students). Wisconsin had been 18 for decades. Where did all the kids from the border towns *drive*?

The current 21YO limit is an infringement on one's Constitutional rights, IMO.

Reply to
krw

Joerg Inscribed thus:

Hi Joerg, You need MP3 player browser plugin installed. I just grabbed the audio stream and saved the files.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Just checked. It is still associated with Windows Media Player but won't play. As I said, the ones from church and all the other sources do play. Maybe the site requires cookies or something.

Thanks for the offer but I can't see a.b.s.e. since my news provider does not offer it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

st

nt

hahahahaha.. perhaps I should get some myself..

Reply to
ihis groE

They

part

their=20

know=20

Afghanistan.

guys.=20

many=20

I have a fellow who has a kid recently in Navy boot camp. I'll ask.

Reply to
JosephKK

2010 14:14:35 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

first

And IIRC it is only close for horns and strings.

Reply to
JosephKK

Although the 1 O'clock gun (1 shot fired at 1 instead of 12 at noon to save money) is quite a bit smaller!

To allow the ships in Leith to synchronise their chronometers there's another indicator of 1 o'clock. At the top of Nelsons Monument on Calton hill a big white ball is raised up a flag pole just before 1:00, this can be seen from Leith. Exactly at 1:00 the ball's dropped.

A couple of points on your photos from an Edinburgh resident.

Edinburgh's not the biggest city in Scotland, although it is the capital. The population of greater Glasgow is > 1 milion, Edinburgh's only ~550,000.

The clock tower in photo 2 is the Balmoral Hotel, I think the architect was just showing off.

The Romanesqe columns on Calton hill were a folly started by a businessman some time in the 1800's. It was supposed to emulate the Parthenon, but he ran out of money fairly quickly.

Beautiful church on Princes Street is St Giles Cathedral on the Royal Mile!

I've been here for 10 years and with friends and family visiting I've done most of the tours round the city. I hope you don't mind the extra info.

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Thanks. I have great respect for all those men and women!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

money)

Interesting stuff, thanks.

I had an apartment near Aberdeen for a while but never made it to Edinburgh (should have). At the end of my stay I rented a raggedy old Ford Cortina and toured the north-western parts of Scotland because I am more of a country guy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nope.

Its waaay more complicated than that, especially on a piano.

Lateral string stiffness often INCREASES the partials significantly beyond their exact harmonic multiples.

So much so that a properly tuned piano has to be "stretched" by 15 cents on the low end and 30 cents on the high. One cent is roughly 0.06 percent frequency or more exactly, one one hundredth of the twelveth root of two minus one.

A partial is "sort of" a harmonic, shifted by physical second order effects. And often significantly higher than a true harmonic.

A harmonic is an exact multiple.

An exactly harmonic tuned piano sounds awful.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Got it. The answer surprised even me. They get to keep about $50 cash and a calling card. No cell phones, no mp3 player, no ebook reader, no personal electronics of any kind. It goes on, _ALL_ your clothes, including your underwear, you are issued new ones. Even your glasses, you are provided with new ones meeting military requirements. It is all boxed up and sent back to your 'parents', sometimes causing some consternation there. The next couple of weeks is training for over 12 hours a day, no break. Boot camp has changed hugely in the past 40 years. No KP week though, can't afford the training time. Not often over 10 minutes to eat your meals. Slam it and go, gotta make your next training. Damn little marching though, no time to mess around with forming up. Better not be late for you next assigned training though.

Reply to
JosephKK

Thanks Joseph, that's quite enlightening!

Reply to
Joel Koltner