Voltage-controlled amp design is hard

So I've been working with a large biomed customer to replace a whole lot of $700 PMT modules with APDs. We modified our QL01 photoreceiver to use an APD, and produced a very quiet and super safe HV supply, which should be enough to be going on with.

The customer's existing software relies on being able to change the PMT's gain by dorking the HV supply to the dynode voltage divider string, so they really want a VCA in there someplace. It needs a gain range of +30 to -10 dB and a bandwidth of a few hundred kHz.

No problem, thought I: the TIA uses a 1M feedback resistor, whose noise is about 130 nV/sqrt(Hz). That leaves quite a bit of room for the VCA's noise to degrade at low gain.

Silly me.

The pre-packaged VCAs, e.g. TI's VCA810 or VCA822, have excellent noise performance at maximum gain, but it tanks suddenly when you go ~10dB lower. Plus, nearly all are +5 or +-5V designs, so I have to put a voltage divider in front to preserve FS range. Those are >20dB off the pace.

Since it doesn't need much bandwidth, I tried running a hugely-degenerated PNP diff pair, with the current output going to the bias input of one half of an LM13700, with the other half nulling out the DC bias. That got me an e_N of about 800 nV/sqrt(Hz), a mere 16dB degradation.

A fully-discrete design for this would have way too many parts and would suffer badly from matching issues, but I did one on spec and got down to ~140 nV at low gain, but that still degrades the noise by >3dB. Generally using transconductance to make a VCA with low noise throughout its gain range seems pretty hard--one sees the point of Bill Hewlett's tungsten bulb or the LED+Vactrol approach.

Another approach is to use several stages, each with a variable attenuator and a fixed-gain amplifier, but that runs into even more parts.

I've suggested to the customer that we use a small MCU with a decent ADC driving a MDAC or dpot, because that really looks like the right answer if they don't care about the gain vs voltage being continuous on very small scales.

Any wisdom?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

An MDAC as the variable gain element sounds good. DAC8812 or some such.

Analog Devices still makes real multipliers.

Do you need continuous gain scaling, or would steps work? A few steps would be easy.

lunatic fringe electronics

I like THAT Corp. VCAs for audio work but I'm guessing those are way off the mark for your work. ?

Reply to
boB

Like JL I was going to suggest a real analog multiplier... for $700 you've got some money to burn.

How about diddling with the APD bias voltage to change the gain, that should go from 1 to ~100, maybe 300?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

How about a diaphragm, as in a camera, to reduce sensitivity? Moving strip with ever smaller holes? Keep gain at maximum?

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

There's a second source for the THAT Corporation 2181 VCA, +20/-20 supplies, -60dB to +40 gain control range, 20MHz bandwidth. Looks like a pretty nice part though don't know if it's low enough noise over the range for your application.

$1.10 each in quantities over 100:

Reply to
bitrex

Some alternatives to VCA include PWM (precise but low bandwidth); Amplitude modulating RF and demod; or diode bridge vario-losser (wide bandwidth but imprecise and limited to 30-40dB range).

You mentioned bandwidth to few hundred kHz but does it extend to DC?

If ac coupled can you tolerate control voltage feedthrough (what audio compressors call "thump")?

Do you need predictable gain tracking control voltage or will it be inside a feedback loop? Would gain range switching be enough?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Or compress the range into one making the TIA into a log-amp?

By tradition I thought photodiodes and logamps went together like peaches and cream :)

piglet

Reply to
piglet

I've made an Analog Devices multiplier a mainstay in many different types of designs, e.g., the 10MHz AD734. But that's a high-voltage +/-15V part, and Barrie Gilbert hasn't seen fit to update his design for low-voltages.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hmm, maybe a pwm thing with a lockin/ low pass on the back end? And some switched section for different ranges.

I'd guess he wants DC, but best wait for Phil.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Jul 30, 2018, Winfield Hill wrote (in article ):

I doubt that Barrie Gilbert designs commodity multipliers these days, so I?d be barking at the relevant Product Managers at Analog.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

AD835 does Z = X * Y, in pure volts, with X and Y range +-1 volt. Amazing part. Maybe too noisy for Phil.

There are some parts with +-10 inputs too.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yup, DC-300kHz or thereabouts.

Last time I checked, analogue multipliers had about 1-2 uV 1-Hz noise, which is worse than the OTA thing. Is the 734 dramatically better?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

We need a lower-frequency, lower-power version!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yeah something like that. There's the DC offset too... if you care about that. I use the AD734, but I happiest putting big signals into the input.

George H. (How about changing the bias voltage.. that seems obvious, so you must have rejected it for some reason.)

Reply to
George Herold

Oh, just buy a fan.

lunatic fringe electronics

It's initially for retrofitting, so I can't change the optical system. Also wasting photons is equivalent to the amplifier getting noisier.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks. Diode-bridge attenuators have the same shot-noise problem as transconducance things. What I really want is an op amp with a variable feedback resistor, hence the MDAC/dpot idea. 256 steps really ought to be enough--the maximum range of gains is only 100:1.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The customer would say "Not responsive to requirements." ;) Plus log amps, being transconductance devices, have the same noise issue unless you run a zillion diodes in series.

If you want the log, just run the photodiode open-circuit with a noninverting buffer on it. A split diode and a diff amp lets you compute the ratio easily, which is useful for beam pointing applications--the output voltage doesn't depend very much on the laser power.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The gain range isn't enough--these diodes have a SNR sweet spot at about M=20, mostly because the TIA itself is so quiet.

With an avalanche gain of 20, its noise floor is equivalent to the Johnson noise of a feedback resistor 400 times higher, i.e. 400M.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs