VME card ejectors

It is nice to see old stuff still chugging along. The Intel 8051 series has got to be the longest lasting and most popular series.

I see some of my old creations nearly every day. Designed and built wayyyy back in 1990 -- a VME processing board based on ... Inmos Transputers. Definitely not in production anymore but these were fun boards to work with. And, those Transputers sure were wonderful critters back in their day.

-- Ed

Reply to
GPE

I actually have a 6502 design based on a Spartan-3 FPGA. Has a 6502 plus three 6532's and a wad of glue logic all within one of the smaller Spartan-3 series. Too bad this won't "plug into" the existing board though.

-- Ed

Reply to
GPE

"GPE" wrote in news:HW4ai.403719$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe14.phx:

I remember that word! Was supposed to be the Next Big Thing, the transputer. Whatever happened to those? I'd forgotten there was even a word...

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Inmos was bought out by ST (SGS Thomson). Inmos was developing the next generation Transputer -- T9000. But I don't think they ever got it off the ground before they got shut down.

Reply to
GPE

Once in a park, could be down in Bryce Canyon, I met an engineer who worked at Inmos. We hiked back out together and chatted about, well, engineering stuff. I got the impression that they were all really bright engineers there but that the business and sales side was not getting the attention it should have.

Sometimes the best stuff doesn't make it because they fail to take care of the business side. Or seem to toss jewels into the bin without thinking. Remember the old Intel programmable logic series? Forgot the name but it was the first and for a long time the only series that had true close-to-zero power consumption at low clock speed. Boy was I glad that I had not designed it in because shortly after I tried out a design they chucked it all. I sat there in total disbelief. They could have made oodles of money.

So nowadays whenever a kid says to me that the 80C51 is something for geezers I take the time to explain how important 2nd source really is. Usually spiced up with a few horror stories. Afterwards they usually never say that again.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

That's what I meant by "adapter" - a small PCB with pins in the 40 DIP pattern, with traces to bring out all the right pins from the CPLD/FPGA to the DIP pins. From what little I know about uPs and CPLD/FPGAs, you might need a little glue logic or buffering or something, but if there's any volume, it might be worth it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Are WDC (Western Design Center) not good enough for 65xx ?

--
André Majorel
(Counterfeit: apaponir@offer.com izikek@coarse.com)

True, you can still get 65C02's and 65C21's. It's the 6532's that I have trouble with. Finding reasonable, unused and non-counterfeit ones is getting touger and tougher. I tried to talk them into making 65C32's. Sure... just ante up a $10K upfront NRE... yeah, like a hobbiest can do that.

-- Ed

Reply to
GPE

6502.org have an account at WDC and have done group buys there. I doubt they could pony up 10 kUSD worth of orders, though.

You could look for Roy J. Tellason's page. He has lots of 65xx chips for trade/sale.

--
André Majorel
(Counterfeit: ojoduk@milkweed.com uqyvol@ayers.com)