Vibration Sensor Matrix.

Hello,

I have total Newboid status so sorry if any of the following doesn't make sense.

I am trying to wire a wooden wall with vibration sensors to detect whereabouts a thrown ball hits it.

I have some piezos which give out a variable voltage when vibrated.

I have a BX-24 microcontroller which takes voltage up to 5V, current up to 100 milliamps.

I have 2 questions.

  1. How do I build a circuit to convert the piezo output into a safe readable format for the microcontroller?

  1. If I build a matrix of say 12 piezos and analyse the results in software to estimate the position of impact (on the wall) how accurate results could I expect?

Thanks for any guidance,

Gav

gavspav

This has already been done for electronic dart boards; one of which I have reprogrammed with random animal grunts along with voice output of your score.

It uses a large membrane switch. Each plastic 'segment' of the target floats on 3 or four plastic feet that rest on individual switches. A dart hitting the plastic causes a minimum 1 millisecond pulse, easily read by a micro controller.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure how durable membrane switches would be in the face of travelling balls?

I am making a kind of 'virtual cocount shy' where you aim at projected objects/people.

I love the dartboard hack! Couldn't find it on your site though.

Gav

Luhan M>

Reply to
gavspav

Thanks, there's a lot thats not on my site. I'll get around to most of it someday.

Good luck,

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

I'm not sure that piezo amplitude is going to be a repeatable or calibrateable input - also aren't piezo sensors susceptible to damage from physical shock?

If the panel was of a uniform material, you might gate the lossely-coupled sensor array's rising edges to a ~MHz oscillator and calculate a point of impact. Perhaps an fpga could most easily do the real-time clocking. A slower microcontroller might read and reset the count, handling the display and other housekeeping functions.

RL

Reply to
legg