VGA Ground Connections

The short answer is, "no." The RGB signals are 75 ohm transmission lines. The separate grounds match the separate signal lines. They all get connected together at the CRT board in a CRT system and some other internal place in a TFT system. If you tried to run an extension wire without coax and separate grounds, you would get lots of ghosting. mike

--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
with links.  Delete this sig when replying.

On the VGA pinout, I see that there are five grounds: one for R,G,B, Sync and a generic ground. Is there any real difference between these, and can I safely combine them?

Thanks, =Ray=

Reply to
=Ray=

He! watch out! One can be connected to +5V(VGA specs ???). On some cables you will see a pin missing there.

I found out about this, when I connected a flat srceen display to a single board computer,burned out all ground traces on that connector. That pin carried 5 volts without a limit resistor. Supplier told me that was as per spec. The display DID connect that pin to ground,so a cable with missing pin would have avoided this problem. Regards, S Burry.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry