VGA extension cable

I need to make a short VGA extension cable for a PC, mainly due to the custom case having a bar near where the video card plug is.

I found the pinout here

I take it I only need 8 cables to connect between the male and female ends to get the monitor working? Also do the ground pins (5, 6, 7, 8 & 10) just get connected together?

Thanks Grenge

Reply to
Grenge

"Grenge"

** Huh ??

You can buy one for peanuts.

See DSE, WES etc.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:37:10 +1000, "Grenge" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Pins 6,7,8 are the RGB ground returns. They shouldn't be lumped together. A good quality extension cable will have 75 ohm coax for each of the RGB signals. If you use ordinary wire, as is the case with a cheap cable that I have, you may see ghosting at high resolutions. I have made my own quality extension cables, for use with a KVM box, by re-terminating VGA leads from scrapped monitors.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Wire all the pins straight through. depending on how long "short" is using shielded conductors for the red,green, and blue signals may be a good idea.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

I need one that has a small plug on it, as in the old ribben cable that was used years ago for serial cables. Basicly the cable only needs to be at least 50mm long because of the space limitations and a lage plug won't fit in the space.

Reply to
Grenge

At 50mm you can use esentially any wire. Find a solder tail HD15 male and female connecter and just solder the needed wires pin to pin.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I ended up doing that, and it works fine. In fact it is the monitor I'm using right now. Thanks for the help

was

space

Reply to
Grenge

I had problems with my old 20" sony monitor shadowing and not being crisp. Was a monitor extension cable at fault. Tried 3 different ones, 2 were from a different manufacturer and it still shadowed. I nearly threw the monitor out!

Rob

Reply to
R1rob

50mm is not a long cable.