Very low noise JFET amplfiier references

Any pointers on optimum design of low-noise JFET preamplifiers? Have a new project that will require low noise in a relatively narrow band around 30-100kHz.

Power consumption is also a consideration (battery operation of a lot of channels) so I'd prefer not to throw away too many watts in the front end. Do low Idss JFETs have an advantage?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The classic general reference is probably Motchenbacher and Fitchen. I think there's a different second author on the latest edition.

There are a number of papers in the literature related to preamps for gravity-wave detectors, maybe you can find them with Google Scholar. I know there have been some published in Reviews of Scientific Instruments, though I haven't really been keeping up with this area the last few years.

It'll take me a couple of days to excavate down to my references.

steve

There isn't any ham in my real email address.

Reply to
Stephan Goldstein

Thanks, I'll pick up a copy of the 1973 edition.

Yes, you are right.

Thank, Steve. Apparently some of the old app notes are useful.