Low volt noise gen

I am looking for a circuit that will generate random noise and run on a supply as low as 4 volts. Typically, this cannot be done with diode or transistor junction noise. The minimum potential seems to be around

9V. To overcome this, simulated noise is sometimes generated with digital IC's, but this is not truly random.

Does anyone know of a circuit that will generate genuine random noise and operate down to 4 volts, without specialized components?

Larry R.

Reply to
Larry Redmore

What noise bandwidth do you require?

How about a super-regenerative receiver with no input signal?

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Look here:

Junction Noise Measurements I

Chuck

Chuck

Why not use a switchmode step-up and generate the higher voltage from your "down to 4 volts" source? Of course, you'll have to filter the output carefully to avoid a noise contibution.

Reply to
rebel

Depending on your definition of "truly random", you could use a cascade of ac-coupled opamp stages to amplify the noise from a high value resistor (e.g. 10M).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

And there are some truly terrible opamps around, with noise density scores of times higher than a resistor.

What's that National dip8 audio power amp, the one in the Radio Shack amp/speaker boxes? That hisses like gangbusters.

John

LM386?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I have seen some designs using a CMOS invertor chain:

  1. A chain with a variable length. The length is controlled by some LFSR outputs and the read strobe The input of the LFSR is the output of the invertor chain, latched by a crystal clock. The random is an output of the LFSR.

  1. Phase noise of a CMOS invertor chain

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

"Spehro Pefhany"

** No way - the LM386 is very quiet.

From myself on SED Jan 22 this year:

" Natsemi do not supply a noise spec for their LM386 audio amp.

I used the most basic circuit with a gain of * 26 dB * and fitted a 47uF bypass cap on pin7.

Input pins 2 & 3 were grounded to pin 4, DC supply came from a 9 volt radio battery. The output signal on pin 5 was fed first to a 60dB gain mic pre-amp and then a 22Hz to 20 kHz audio band filter with 12 dB/ oct roll-off slopes.

The noise signal was observed on a scope and found to be hum free, then measured with a True RMS voltmeter with over 100kHz bandwidth. The reading was 144mV rms.

So, the LM386's output noise level was 144 uV rms.

Relative to a 3 volt rms output level, the s/n ratio is around 87 dB.

Fine for the intended applications. "

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yeah, the RatShack amp uses a 386. That must have used a custom noisy version.

John

"John Larkin" "Phil Allison"

** Explanation snipped out of sight by Mr Ego Larkin ....
** When you have nothing sane to say John

- learn to shut the f*ck up.

Should keep you quiet for a while.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Take your own advice, Phillis.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks for an actual data point, instead of an unsupported opinion.

Reply to
John Popelish

Wow!

In this corner we have a nice black pot. What do I have for an opening bid?

--
  Keith
Reply to

I have no object in life other than to amuse myself. So go fill out some complaint forms or something.

Here, this should get you started:

John

My opinion isn't unsupported. I have two of these boxes, and they both hiss.

John

Is the hiss originating from the LM386 chips or from some other component? Phil's data shows the result of a test of the LM386 generated noise.

Reply to
John Popelish

144 uV RMS is a pretty good amount of apparently-wideband noise, actually.

John

"John Larkin" John Popelish

** It's totally unsupported by objective data.

Or any sane thought.

** When you have nothing sane to say John

- learn to shut the f*ck up.

Should keep you quiet for a long while.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I work in picoseconds mostly, so time's up.

John