Very Fast Charging

Interesting. It's a lot of fabrication but all small parts makeable from scraps. We might have a winner.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

toy car,

wind',

In a hurricane or with a 0.1v battery, yes. A 6v 3000rpm motor driven at 15

0rpm will chuck out under 0.3v.

Gears can be made by handcutting wood & plastic scraps, but not that will r un at anything remotely approaching 3000rpm. Crowned wheels with rubber ban d belts can be done, but the friction & stiction are too high for this app.

Wildly over budget

ween those..

also wildly over budget. There's no shortage of ways given unlimited funds, but these are people earning anything from about 10c to $1.25 a day. I'm k

popular. I'm aware it's not an easy task!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

imum

yep :/

I basically asked if you fancied writing a how to pamphlet on your LED/CDs demo. If you want to email me I'll explain more.

.
.

3k hours @ 7 hours/day = 429 days

10p for 429 days, I like it.

I've already done cardboard battery holders, so no torch needed.

I measured a random red LED at - can't find it but I think 1.55v at 1mA. I guess any colour could be used with semidead cells, but in practice suffici ent care would not be taken & the LED would die, not a good design point.

yes, I like it.

some experimenting.

I think any possible potential for dual use rules out use of radioactives. I'll pick up one of those solar lights & play with it, but it's good to als o have whatever range of technologies is practical.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Den onsdag den 25. november 2015 kl. 19.13.49 UTC+1 skrev krw:

This is for cyclists

and the top row numbers are for people like Lance Armstrong, Marco Pantani etc. not only did they have incredible physique, they weren't doing it on cookies and water

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm surprised there is only a 2.5:1 difference between "untrained" and a world-class athlete.

Reply to
krw

Me too. In my sporting days I covered an endurance ratio of about 20:1 from untrained to trained.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Den torsdag den 26. november 2015 kl. 01.55.26 UTC+1 skrev krw:

everyone have roughly the same "hardware"

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

No, I meant some enterprising driver could supply charged cells as a service, like the milk man. Picks up discharged cells, drops off charged. Then the user might not need to own even the light.

That's ~300hrs runtime @ 3mA = two months at 5 hrs a night, or six months at i(LED)=1mA, per charge.

There's an advantage to encouraging trade like this that goes beyond the mere providing of a service; it seeds invention, infrastructure, and enterprise. Other people will see the entrepreneur, copy, and improve.

1mA through the LED (~3mW) is probably overkill. 1mA is more than enough for one person to easily read by, or to light up a room to moonlight level, which is great.

The circuit would be a resistor, a white LED, a used cellphone cell, and a switch.

Count me with Neon John though--the most miserable peoples' problems flow from their societies' structures--their governments, and the theories they're based on. Most things we do won't make any difference, and might even enable despots by making people more comfortable in their misery.

But a light to read and learn by that adds hours of learning time a day, _that_ is a transformative thing. Worth trying.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Not at all. Not only muscles but lungs, heart, and the rest of the circulatory system vary widely between world-class athletes and couch potatoes.

Reply to
krw

not bad. But I still suspect trade problems.

The causes of poverty aren't about to go away. But one can transform what it means to be in poverty.

For someone stuck in poverty, with their children unable to access school and doomed to poverty as adults, that's a game changer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Have you considered the 'Bagdad Battery' from 200 BC? Three of these homemade cells would provide 10mA at 3 volts, or 30mW for a white LED. All you need is iron and copper and maybe some salt water or vinegar. And you might be able to extend the life by just changing the salt water.

"In 1938 an archaeologist Von Wilhelm Konig working at the Baghdad Iraq Museum, claimed to have discovered a very old battery. He thought the Mesopotamians had invented the battery in 200 BC! ! His so-called 'Baghdad Battery', shown in the picture, consisted of a ceramic pot about 20cm high, in which was placed a cylinder of copper metal and an iron rod. It appears that the iron rod was surrounded by an oil/pitch based insulator, and evidence for organic material was found in the pot. Recently we have made copies of these devices using vinegar (which of course would have been an available electrolyte at the time). A single device produces about 1V at 10mA. Of course from what we have learnt in this article such a system would indeed work as a battery, but was this the intention over 2000 years ago - did the Mesopotamians really mean to invent the battery, or did the device have some other, quite unconnected purpose? "

Bill Bowden

  • Like i said,shipping of _ideas_ and drawings,etc is cheap as all heck; one could even get rid of the trucks etc by using the ...... internet.
Reply to
Robert Baer

unworkable (in the 3rd world, from nothing but junk) (would need around 10

00:1). That leaves one other just maybe - a handle driven motor which charg es a 2.4v battery at a very high rate for under a minute. Question is, how do NiMH cope with such charging? Is it workable?

Just to update these assumptions, 10mW for 5 hours is 50mWhr = 180J.

That's roughly 1/5th your setup, needing 20kg instead of 100kg given a

1 m fall.

These sorts of calculations make a fellow really appreciate having energy. I burn the equal of about 1/3rd h.p. 24/7 just to keep up ye olde crib, and heaven knows how much all-in to produce the food and other stuff I enjoy.

Unless you're on some tropical island with food everywhere, life without energy is _brutal_.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Great. So you're the one guy within fifty miles who has internet, can understand those plans, and you make a unit. How do you get it to your customers without shipping?

P.S. Also, IME almost no one has internet--they're chasing animals or making tourist crap. And if they did have internet they still wouldn't have the materials or technical skill.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yes, that would work fine with a fixed number of batteries in series. There might be a problem if someone hooked up just one battery which would raise the voltage across the light bulbs.

Bill Bowden

On a sunny day (Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:53:34 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Must be a bad motor.

Dunno where you are, but here they would be happy if you took it away I'd think.

Na, your theory (with all respect and I understand your good intentions) does not make sense to me. If you count your hours spend 0and you are using a PC clearly the current spend), you can go to a scrap yard, buy them 10 alternators, 5 bikes, an a knife to cut trees. Write an instruction manual. Or even send them the * solar panel, these are justadollar on ebay.

Because before they could ever get any of the stuff from salvaged parts going, they would need an education in electronics, desolder tools, other tools, and test equipment. I think I KNOW how to make cheap test stuff:

Now for some or all you need a PC too. What do you use to solder -or desolder in the wild? A glowing nail in the wood fire? I have tried that in a coal fire, mama thought I was going to set the place on fire, I tell you. Life can be hard for a small kid trying tronixs. :-)

Anyways lighting a simple fire will also give them light, and keep mosquitos and larger animals away.

What did I miss here?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'm adding that to the to do list! Thanks.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

people walk to you to get it. A great number of people in poverty live in densely populated shack regions. And you don't need internet to get the plans.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

o/c terminal voltage is proportional to rpm. The figure I gave is if anything optmiistic, many small motors are designed to run far faster.

These projects will be done in the 3rd world. Any alternator is way out of affordability.

what use would be sending people plans for something they could never hope to make. We produce plans for things people actually can make.

$1 times well over a billion people. You jest. That old fashioned approach has no hope of tackling even 0.1% of the problems.

we're doing that too, bit by bit. Most people will never have electronics skills, but a) it only takes one person here & there to steadily supply others with usable kit b) lots of people can do very basic electronics with clear enough instructions

we've addressed all that. It's all doable using roadside scrap.

way too expensive for us. One of the main challenges with test equipment has been the inability to afford a moving coil meter or digital display. That has been solved now.

I did electronics successfully for years with no pc

yes, a nail. I've gotten good clean joints with one years ago.

the overall plan is to find ways to turn garbage into useful goods, and distribute the plans. We've done a useful amount so far, but lots more is needed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Nov 2015 05:40:31 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Yea, there were no PCs when I started tronix.

You mention third world. OK, maybe that is a fine line, I think I did see poor people in countries like that with cellphones. No idea how they could afford it and who they talk to, or charge it.

I am not sure there are that many places left were people have not met our technology, or maybe they just wanted nothing to do with it.

From my POV is happening in 'merrica too, Jobs selling little shiny mirrors (sometimes call IPod or something) to the natives... I am not sure the indian tribes on the Amazon river really _want_ to be saved by high tech lights.

And in the end we will take that land away from them, either by force or by pollution. Nature is about the right of the strongest. So there is a suspicion that 'creating a market' comes into play.

And education.. no good without theory, some theory at least. Else just a Xpod rubber is created, like 'merricans.

Maybe some _are_ genualy genuinely in out ways, maybe some will adapt, maybe some will be eeehh ASSIMILATED . But from a political correct POV (that I give shit about myself) I'd ask first.

So WHERE is that place you are taking about where ipods and GSM have not infiltrated yet? Curious.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje