Vector image "import" to Eagle?

I have a fancy graphical design, which i can render with vector descriptions (Postscript, EPS and maybe HPGL). I want to place the image onto the PCB either in copper or silkscreen. How can this be done?

Reply to
Robert Baer

(Postscript, EPS and maybe HPGL).

I'm not aware of a way to do that.

Can you redraw it as a library package in Eagle?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

een.

convert to dxf and use something like this?:

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

other than the obvious (toner transfer)

pstoedit (producing fig) followed by fig2dev (producing gerber) I don't think fig2dev will render fonts, only line art, have not tried it.

This will progably translate all the curves into a series of short line segments if you're real lucky the circular arcs may survive as circular arcs.

I don't know what tools exist to merge gerbers.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Convert to bmp and type "run import-bmp.ulp" But be aware, it is really slow. Group, cut & paste the result to the package editor, then make a complete part of it (symbol, device, package) and then you can have your logo on each of your boards.

Tobias

segments

Reply to
Tobias Kahre

of it (symbol, device, package) and then

Or, if the OP was running Kicad ;-) he could use the built-in Bitmap2Component button to create a PCB-placeable module or the third-party (also free) ttconv to import a DXF file as a module.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I have tried that in my 4.16 version and I doubt it has improved much. The results were rather dismal. Ok, I admit, I wanted to use Eagle for something it really was not intended for.

Probably the best method is to use a printout, scissors and Elmer's glue :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

  • What i saw is *SO* different in looks that i question that it was Eagle..
  • Maybe by using "spot" size for WIRE width and stepping in a curve-tracing manner? Sort of tedious and maybe acceptable for one-time use, but a GENERAL method would be better so that a program could be written for conversion..
Reply to
Robert Baer

OOoohh! Looks like that may be "the" solution. What the heck do they mean by "DXF polylines need to be exploded before importing"? What is a "polyline" and how does one recognize such, and how does one then "explode" it? Thanks!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hmm..produced nothing: This utility is free to use but comes with no support! Original conversion routines by: Hank Wallace

Converting: E:\PROGRAMS\DXF2scr\Header.dxf

X Offset = 0 : Y Offset = 0 : Line Width = 0.001 Lines: 0 Arcs: 0 Circles: 0

Complete.

Reply to
Robert Baer

segments

Interesting..so one has something to convert Eagle files to gerbers for the PCB and then merge the fig2dev gerber..dumb text editor can be used for the merging.

Reply to
Robert Baer

segments

OK, got the pstoedit.exe and tried to run it; got that it was not a valid Win32 program. So now there are two nice-sounding ways for conversion, but neither works.

Reply to
Robert Baer

segments

Boot Linux. Either a Knoppix DVD or some other live disc, preferably a Live DVD, which typically has a lot of apps in it, and run gimp to convert it to something Eagle likes. You can do it from within an emulated session too.

voilà

Reply to
Klinger

of it (symbol, device, package) and then

segments

snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net --- So this is a THIRD way, which (also) *sounds* workable. Well, i do not think it worked; seems i had 256 colors which it displayed with only 2 having check marks. At that point, all i could do is close the colorful window. So i went back to CorelDraw and exported the BMP as black and white. Guess what? Now the file "import-bmp.ulp" does NOT EXIST anywhere on my hard drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAJOR SUPER BUG!!! Please send me the file?

Reply to
Robert Baer

They who?

Copiers these days have feed mechs and manual placement 'light tables'.

Plenty of jet printers with straight, flat paper paths for thick media print stock too.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Once upon a time (30 years ago??), Xerox made copiers that could print onto a PCB - just a minor thickness adjustment at worst. With one of those, one could print etch mask and run again with logo mask. They discontinued copiers that had a straight, flat paper feed...

Reply to
Robert Baer

part of it (symbol, device, package) and then

segments

snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

It does not delete its own scripts. It is on

Cheers:)

Reply to
Tobias Kahre

segments

WTF are you talking about? My nym? You don't even come close.

Reply to
Klinger

segments

I do not support characters from the Peanuts cartoon.. (too much gibberish)

Reply to
Robert Baer

part of it (symbol, device, package) and then

segments

snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Well, the script ran exactly once, so it did exist - and now it does not. Certainly the tooth fairy did not delete the script.

Reply to
Robert Baer