Varistor specification in old schematic

Could some electronics guru please clarify this a bit. Looking through an old schematic by a previous colleague I see a varistor specified as MOV 270/20. What does the '270/20' mean ? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Daku

more than likely means it can operate up to

270 RMS volts continuos and have a clamping ability of 20J/msec.. that would be Joules in energy

That is only a guess from experience. If this circuit must live in a 240V RMS environment, it sounds to be correct.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

270V. 20mm diameter metal oxide varistor.

Be careful, some manufacturers number(ed) MOVs by RMS operating voltage, some by varistor voltage. PITA, I know.

You need to know the actual operating voltage, then select a suitable 20mm replacement.

Epcos used to number like you wrote. Since the TDK merger, they've changed.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

No. That device rating is for a 120 V environment.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk