Using PostScript as a General Purpose Computing Language

You can determine the address if any variable, array, or label, peek/poke anywhere, and it does have pointers and @pointer addressing, although I seldom use them. Pointers to structures are allowed, too. But there's no mechanism to make a call through a pointer, as I recall, unless you drop into assembly.

PowerBasic does have nice CASE constructs, and ON...GOTO and ON...GOSUB for dispatching on a value.

I mostly stick to classic subscripts and standard control structures, and seldom use pointers.

If you use the GOSUB thing, there are no passed paramaters... everything is global, which is usually what I want anyhow. If you use formal subroutines, you can declare subroutines that pass by value or by reference. The default is by reference.

The world provides plenty of opportunities to prove how smart you are, if that's what you want to do. Programming is not the place to do that.

Of course I do the important stuff, the embedded code, in 68K assembly, where you can do anything you want.

John

Steve Jobs bragged that he used a Cray in designing the Apple II. Seymour Cray replied that he used an Apple II in designing the Cray.

John

John:

When they both actually used TRS-80 Model 1.

Reply to
BrotherBart

Just tell Acrobat what you wand loaded on boot, and leave most of the crap off.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

I've just added three dozen links of fancy PostScript-as-Language apps to

I challenge you to try and do this collection of tasks in ANY other language using ANY other methods that is even remotely as fast, as simple, as intuitive, and as convenient as using raw PostScript.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Depending on what else you're interested in, you might try looking over Adobe and its competitors.

They will not be interested in "General Purpose Programmers" and that's a good thing. You'd be bored to tears in minutes working as one.

Adobe and its competitors are active in several very interesting technologies, including SVG. Now, SVG is not postscript, and embedded Javascript is kinda sucky compared to a real programming language. But, there's a lot of interesting stuff to be done, and it's the closest thing to "Display Postscript" (a now forgotten technology) that you'll find, and if you can leverage your knowledge of real-world applications and display usability you can make some powerful contributions.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

They exist, but cost tens of thousands of dollars and are usually tuned towards highly specific applications (usually financial). Sometimes it is possible to tweak these tools to do scientific or engineering or graphic design stuff but it's painful.

OTOH there are lots of easy ways to just make a postscript or PDF file using a custom tool that you cranked out in a couple of minutes that handles exactly the parameters you want.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

too bad that PDF (Portable Document Format) files are really not portable anymore. try to read a current PDF on OS/2 with Reader 3 which is the latest reader offering for os/2.

Ken

Reply to
<kenames

If someone knows that older compatibility is needed by their viewers, they can always redistill to a lower compatibility level.

Doing so may make the files very large if transparency or other improvements are present.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Could you elaborate on that, Don? I just downloaded a data sheet that wants Adobe v6. I only have Acrobat 5. How do I get there? Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Um, you do have to be the data sheet author.

When you distill, you do so to a named group of settings. One of the choices in the settings is thc compatibility level.

Which can go back to 3.0.

You could borrow Acrobat 6, print to file as postscript and redistill to acrobat 5.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

hi Don, but there in lies the problem. they wont because most just dont care. I have tried to get this done with the people at mta.net here. they wont even respond after numerous emails to them. and they are really afraid to publish their phone number because of all the complaints they would get. this is just one example. but the point is that Adobe should NOT be calling them portable documents any longer because they definitely are not. I would like to see all reader software brought to the current windows level. they should also realize that windows is NOT the only OS out there. the same goes for a lot of other companies.

Ken

Reply to
<kenames

Don, How do I install Adobe Reader v6 or v7 without it being dominant?

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

In other words, if you cannot print it on an ASR-33 Teletype, it is not portable.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster
[...]

Jim, you may not need or want V6. First, I understand it takes a long time to load. But if you do install it, you can change the file association to use another version in Start -> Folder Option -> File Types, and edit the entry for PDF files. (This is for Win98 - I don't know if XP has the same structure but it has to be in there somewhere.)

Second, here's a converter that will allow you to change PDF file versions:

PDF Version Converter Freeware 293KB Version 1.0 Convert PDF file between different versions for compatibility purpose.

Every PDF file is generated or produced according to a specification. This specification has evolved from version 1.0 to version 1.6. Sometimes users are faced with the dilemma that a certain application only recognizes a specific version of PDF file. For example, some journal publishers only accept submission of PDF files of version 1.4 or later, some obsolete Windows applications only read PDF files of version 1.2. Suppose you have a PDF file of version 1.1, what would you like to do? PDF Version Converter is the answer. This freeware utility enables you to convert PDF files between different versions,

PDF version 1.0 (Adobe Acrobat 1.x) PDF version 1.1 (Adobe Acrobat 2.x) PDF version 1.2 (Adobe Acrobat 3.x) PDF version 1.3 (Adobe Acrobat 4.x) PDF version 1.4 (Adobe Acrobat 5.x) PDF version 1.5 (Adobe Acrobat 6.x) PDF version 1.6 (Adobe Acrobat 7.x)

There's some other nice utilities on their page.

Third, here's some fast-loading pdf viewers that may be useful (The free version doesn't seem to be able to select graphics, but you should have no trouble swinging the funds for the Pro version:)

Best,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

And I want it on punched paper tape ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Make sure you are not standing on the tape while the Teletype is loading it!

Especially the mylar tape in which case you get thrown out the window.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

printf()? That isn't Java.

It does, to a degree. Some of the features aren't supported on Windows, but then they are missing no matter what platform one uses.

Are you using Microsoft's .NET Java hack? That might explain it. Throw that crap away, download the SDK from Sun's Java site and then download Eclipse.

Porsche 928: 0 to c in 2.125 years, 2.435 light-years per mile^3 of gas
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Is wearing out the "." thingy acceptable?

Reply to
cs_posting

The ASR33 was introduced around 41 years ago. That's a little soon for the "."'s to stop.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany