Uses for Old UPSes

And you need to ask why?????? Anyone with half a brain got out of the business 15 or 20 years ago. ANd not too many with half a brain or more are getting into the business over the last 20 years.

When I started in the late sixties, it was the lowest paid trade - bar none. When I taught the trade in the seventies, the attitude at the schools was "he's too dumb to make a scientist, plumber, electrician, or machinist out of - and too smart to be a lawyer, so we'll put him in Auto Mechanics.

So I had to teach them electrical, plumbing, physics, machining, math, and all the rest to make mechanics out of them.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce
[...]

Depends heavily on the tech who looks at it. I was handed a truck a couple of weeks ago that someone had spent all day trying to troubleshoot. No cruise control, no Jake brakes. He'd thrashed around for eight hours, running diagnostics, checking sensors, even popped the valve covers to check the brake solenoids. I found the broken clutch pedal return spring in less than a minute. $12 part, five minutes to install.

--
B.B.           --I am not a goat!       thegoat4 at airmail dot net
Reply to

In many cases these mechanics are not so much dishonest as ignorant. They just plain do NOT know how to troubleshoot. The ones that have the manual, and know how to read it (that is an art in itself - particularly with FORD Manuals) they blindly follow the pinpoint tests - which can send you in 15 interlocking circles at the same time if you do not use your PDT (Primary Diagnostic Tool) (Otherwize known as the brain God gave you). Blindly following the manual can cause you to replace many parts that are not part of the problem.

In order to effectively troubleshoot today's systems, you MUST have an understanding of how it is SUPPOSED to work, so when it doesn't, you have a clue as to why.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Actually, with clueless customer base, honest automechanics cannot compete with dishonest ones.

Ignoramus4324

It is not true that you did not have diagnostic equipment, you had a scope. You also had enough training to figure out where to look.

As for documentation, everyone would benefit from owning proper repair manuals.

What these techs do is, for the most part, not magic, they follow a [well designed] procedure -- except when the dishonest ones suggest unnecessary repairs, as in proposing to start swapping one part after another.

Ignoramus4324

Yeah, I went to Midas for a "$39.99" muffler. When I finally got the car back, the bill was over $400.00. I should have sued the bastards.

Don't ever go to Midas, and tell your friends, relatives, and what the heck, people on the street: Don't go to Midas - they're thieves.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ed from Ed I just picked up a apc bk500. I charged it most of the night and the voltage only shows 98 volt on battery. The instructions on the internet show some sort of cd disc for windows which I do not have with a good battery can I just use it as it is for a usp for the computer. no alarm led lights on and it appears to be working fine thanks Ed

Reply to
Ed ke6bnl

wires

parallel

run

Since

use.

I'm not aware of the inner workings of these things, Ed, nor have I put an AC voltmeter on the output, running off the car battery, to see what actual voltage I'm getting. The computer runs fine off of it but now you have my curiosity going.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The APC BK500 has a step Output waveform that would be no problem for a computer and monitor. MGE UPS systems are a sinewave

Reply to
Lew

It might be worth re-checking the AC output voltage using a voltmeter which reads "true RMS". Most inexpensive voltmeters actually read the peak voltage, and display an RMS value calculated based on the assumption that the waveform is sinusoidal.

A lot of backup power supplies use inverters that create a distinctly non-sinusoidal waveform... it's sometimes a square wave, and sometimes a "stepped" waveform which crudely approximates a sinusoid.

It's entirely possible that the APC BK500 creates a non-sinusoidal waveform, whose RMS value is close to the nominal 120 VAC, but whose peak voltage is lower than that of a true sinusoid having 120 VAC RMS. This could cause most inexpensive voltmeters to read a value that's too low.

Dave Platt