USB PORTS on the motherboard WORST INVENTION EVER.

I guess I'd never consider charging friends. I generally loan them my old tools (or HF's specifically bought for that purpose).

Seems it's not _that_ important, then.

Seems that would have been covered in their schooling. The ODs I've used haven't been dummies.

I guess it would be more important if I were as blind as a bat. ;-) I think these are only 2.5d in the uppers (the problem seems to be mainly the astigmatism I picked up). I'd have to get out my prescription, though.

Reply to
krw

I have friends and I have customers. The difference is that the customers pay me. I'm working on converting non-paying friends into customers.

For low power glasses of less than +2.0 diopter, it's not very important. For higher magnifications, the PD becomes increasingly more important. I wasn't convinced to I played with the PD using the trial frame. I couldn't see much difference initially, but after trying to actually work close up for about 20-30 minutes, I started having problems focusing. Adjusting the PD to the correct value reduced the problem and also eliminated some eye strain.

Incidentally, I found an easy way to measure PD. I taped a steel rule to my forehead and then took a photograph of my face with a digital camera. Using software that can count pixels (Windoze Paint), I first calculated the number of pixels per cm using the ruler on my forehead. Measuring the number of pixels between pupils and dividing by the number of pixels per cm yielded what appears to be a fairly accurate PD. The only things that were critical were keeping the ruler horizontal (use two piece of tape) and having the camera directly in front of my face (use a tripod and a remote trigger).

Competence and the ability to get it right every time are only loosely related. There are plenty of ways to make an otherwise competent person do dumb things. The first of two Costo optometrists decided that it was acceptable to maintain a running conversation with a salesman while doing the test. He was running late and my appointment apparently cut into his appointment with the salesman. At the end, I pointed out an obvious mistake in the prescription which he corrected. To save time, he based his prescription on my then current erroneous prescription. I suspect that he was well schooled and highly experienced. However, when pressed for time and distracted, I don't expect much in the way of quality. The 2nd Costco optometrist was much better (after I decoded her handwriting).

If you can't find your prescription, you can take the glasses to any optometrist or optician shop, who will use a lensometer to extract the prescription. They won't be thrilled with doing it for free, but it's possible. You should have a copy with you when you travel. A friend lost her glasses while travelling in Japan. I obtained her prescription from her optometrist so that she could have a replacement pair made in Japan (which incidentally was done overnight).

How to use a Lensometer: What the prescription numbers mean:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I'd never do business with friends. Too easy to lose on both ends. Friends help friends and don't look for payment, particularly if there are no direct costs involved. That's the way I was brought up. Sometimes it doesn't work both ways but that's life too. Live and learn.

I meant not very important at .5-1mm error range. It's certainly important. I can really see (NPI) it with the Mantis at work. Binoculars, as well, obviously.

Cool! Neat idea! Maybe I'll try Zenni armed with the above.

In this case you've noted that they don't think it's important to get right. Their schooling would have taught them better.

Different situation.

Doesn't it require a prescription in the US. The prescriptions I've had are dated and no one will take them after a year from that date. I would presume they wouldn't dispense eye glasses without one. ...and they want the OD's fee, too.

Interesting. Not that I'll ever find a use for it. ;-)

Confirms pretty much what I'd presumed from the names and the physics.

Reply to
krw

It's not like I'm playing Ebineezer Scrooge. I do far too many free and below cost repairs for both individuals and companies. I ask nothing in return. However, it does cut into my free time and bottom line. So, every few years, I have to remind the freeloaders that I'm business and need money to support my decadent and lavish lifestyle. I then start charging $1 for free repairs. This dramatically reduces the number of free repairs, which is the intent. It also seems to make people feel a bit guilty, thus converting friends into customers.

Try to get the camera as far away from you as possible. The hard part is keeping a steady gaze at objects at various distances. There's always a tendency to look at the camera, which ruins everything.

Zenni suggests you do it with a mirror:

40cm seems too close for an accurate reading at infinity.

Oddly, I didn't attend any classes in engineering protocols, personal ethics, bedside manners, business practices, and customer relations in college. The closest approximation was "Engineering Economics" which taught the time value of money, make-buy-lease-steal decisions, and some basic business practices. I had to learn all that on the job and running my own business. It's possible that trade schools and colleges are more advanced in these areas today, but I doubt it.

Yes. The prescription must be less than 2 years old in California. Costco claimed it has to be on the original form and in the optometrists unreadable scrawl. Others states might have different rules.

More:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

What? Why would that be? Are you suggesting that it might attract lightning? lol

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Yep, that's why I got a pair with the upper lens set for the computer and the lower lens set for closer work. The neck/head pain is a well known result of using the lower lens of bifocals for computer work. I had it very severely at one point.

That is encouraging. A friend has trouble with his glasses, I'll talk to him about this, but he isn't likely to know how to modify the prescription to suit him better.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I don't get the $280 price tag. I got bifocals for $100. Even the ripoff places would have trouble charging you $280 for single vision glasses.

I just checked and it was an 1100. It works just fine, I just have to feed each sheet one at a time.

This was a design defect. I likely didn't print 1000 pages in the first year. I just didn't realize it was the printer rather than humidity or the paper. It took me some 8 years to run the toner out of the original cartridge, then the no-name replacement I got had a flaw in the roller and puts a star every couple of inches on each page. This was in the days when many vendors on eBay had high shipping fees and low prices to discourage returns... it worked. Not a big deal, I just don't print much, mainly a very few formal letters and envelopes for tax payments.

I'll take a look at the repair kit. Does that last longer than the original?

Yeah, VHF. I'm working on a LF receiver and get my abbreviations mixed up.. lol. It's funny how kayakers all have very different ideas on what is the "right" stuff to use. Many different paddles, many different boats, etc. I think mostly they like whatever they have once they've bit the bullet and bought something. I don't know anyone who doesn't recommend the unit he has. Some don't like the floating units because they are larger. Once you are in a kayak and suited up with all the gear, every little piece of equipment makes a difference. Try getting back into your boat with a brick strapped to your chest. They prefer the radio is small enough to fit in a PDF pocket.

Yeah, I bit the bullet and ordered some RG-6 coax today. I wanted to figure out "properly" what type of cable would be best, but I'm not making much headway on nailing down the calculations on a loop antenna.

I'm writing this offline. I'll try to remember to look at the link when I am back online.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

How can one man be SO wrong EVERY time? Incredible.

Chris

Reply to
Chris S.

Costco doesn't put their frame and lens prices online, so I'll have to see if I can find the receipt. I like titanium frames because they're light and I can sit on the glasses without damage. These were glass, not plastic lenses. The lenses were the type that get dark in the sun and were anti-reflective coated. Such options add up fast.

Incidentally, I blundered across this article from 2007: "Eyeglass Chain Stores Put to the Test" Looks like Costco was the least disgusting of the big chains for glasses. It also offered: Opticians Need Better Training Frazee believes poorly trained opticians are to blame for most of the problems.

That's not my idea of working just fine.

Yes. I've done about a dozen Laserjet 1000/1100/1200/1300 paper jam fixes by replacing the parts. The original separation pads had some kind problem with the rubber composition. The problem is that there are millions of printers out there with the original pads. The clone or HP parts work much better. Good instructions: I replace more than just the separation pad. See eBay listing above. Unlike the above video, replacing left and right separation pad guides requires that you tear apart the printer. Internet Exploder required for this slide show:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I goofed. Memory fault. I just found the Costco receipt data Jan 2008. 305196 Sv Glass Photoray $55 833914 Richard Taylor Darren 55/16/150 Grey $40 ===== Total $95

I had the lenses refitted to a memory titanium frame after I sat on the above Costco glasses in Jun 2009 for $65.

A previous pair, from Pearle Vision in Jan 1995 cost $153. There were several others that I purchased retail but I can't find the receipts.

Sorry. I know there was a pair that I paid well over $200 for, but there's no record in the files.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Lightning may only strike once, but stupid never ends its attacks.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think I just noticed this buzzing again... while trying to plug in an audio cable while everything was on.

I shall try and contact the building owner, and try again to get these wall sockets grounded.

Though one powersupply of the old computer popped and the circuit breaker went off... don't know why...

I thought at the time maybe drawing too much watts from the electrical system... perhaps over 1800 watts...

But could also have been a short circuit...

I did notice a little bit when touching the pc case and plugging in the audio cable at the same time or nearly same time... that this buzzing occurs... not entirely sure...

It literaly sounds dangerous though.

However I am still pretty sure that misconnecting the usb plug also caused damage.

So many ways/dangerous ways to cause damage or die...

So I will try to at least prevent deaths from happening ;)

Though as Chris S didn't understand... "any change introduces the possibility of mistakes made"...

So having somebody work on the electrical system is dangerous if that person doesn't know what he's doing or simply makes a mistake becaue he's human.

Though having experienced a power supply failing is somewhat worrieing.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Aduio/Ground Loops. Google it.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

How can human beings make so many mistakes ?

Bugger off.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Something doesn't add up about your theory though.

So far:

  1. The PC case has 110 volts on it, but very little ampere ?!

Now you claim that when I touch the PC case and touch other parts of the PC and/or audio cables that this will somehow give a shock to the PC equipment ?

Since there is very little to no ampere flowing how could this be ?

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Hmm.. Ok, I think I get it a little bit...

He said "capacitator" so that's like a battery.

The entire case/plates start functioning as a battery...

The case starts accumilating electrons...

And then when I touch it... those can escape and go back into the system or so...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Also explain to me why the kitchen wall sockets are grounded and the living room sockets are not grounded ?!

Seems very weird to me...

Perhaps there was a good reason for this.

Just telling people to ground everything seems foolish at best because of ground loops and the way electricity goes to ground.

If people in between that path they might still get fryed... ?!

Perhaps it was to save a few bucks here and there... but I dont believe that.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

The correct term is "cazapitor". It goes "zap" when you short it.

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It only takes 10 milliamps (0.01 amps) through the heart to kill you. Probably about the same to kill your USB port. If you own a working volts guesser, you may want to measure the voltage between an earth ground (water pipe) and various parts of your computer system. It doesn't take much to get zapped. Also, consider getting a grounded receptacle tester like this: After getting shocked by a customers miswired house, I make it a habit of checking the power wiring before doing any work.

Note: I've had a triple bypass heart operation and am therefore immune to electrocution by current through the heart. Unfortunately, a silver spike or silver bullet through the heart still works, so I still have to be careful.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

What about an Oak stake? I bet that will work :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail	rpont (at) gmail (dot) com