USB keystroke transfer device...

Hi,

Does any of you know about a USB device /adapter which can connect two computers (PC-A and PC-B) together.

The device indetifies itself as a generic keyboard to PC-B and as a virtual COM port to PC-A.

With the aid of custom software on PC-A pushing character data separated by to its virtual serial port, this data is entered into PC-B's current application as if it was entered from the keyboard...

Thanks for hints and tips on where you can find / buy a gadget like this ;-)

regards

geir

Reply to
Geir

This sounds like a complete hardware/software solution. If on Windows, you can share your clipboard contents and have the other person paste what you copy. That's one way of doing it.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I haven't heard of anything like that. Perhaps another option... Use TightVNC which uses an Ethernet connection. The desktop of one computer is mirrored on a remote computer, including keyboard and mouse. They have version for Linux and Windoze.

Mark
Reply to
qrk

Google "Keyboard Wedge" It might help.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Also google 'Serialkeys accessability' (NO quotes). You can control PC-B with an ordinary null-modem serial cable from PC-A and a pretty simple piece of custom software using GIDEI commands. If you can settle for a CLI application, you could even do it from good old GWBASIC!

In fact its so ****ing simple that I've just turned SerialKeys on (built into Windows Accessibility up to XP), configured it for COM2 4800 baud to match the breadboarded Microchip PIC project I've been playing with and powered up the project with the existing serial demo I was looking at. I'm going open notepad, release the PIC reset line and paste the result below.

{paste from notepad]

**********************

  • PICUART DEMO *

  • Originally by *

  • Fr. Thomas McGahee *

  • Apr 2000 *

  • *

  • PIC16F88 Version *

  • by Ian.M *

  • Feb 2009 *

**********************

{end paste] OK, I've turned it back off. That's straight from the UNMODIFIED character stream it normally sends to a terminal program. Its double spaced because the PIC is sending at the end of each line and I couldn't put it directly into this post because the newsreader uses Ctrl-m at the hotkey for 'compose new message'. You'll need to deal with the protocol a bit better than that as there is a handshake, escape characters, and it drops back to

300 baud on framing errors.

For the terminally geekish, here is a snippit of the program responsible for that startup message:

Enjoy :-)

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

Its that long ago I'd forgotten that trick ! Good thinking Ian.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.