USB Connector

Just wondering. Old laptop with all USB2 connectors. Favorite USB port seems to be wearing out. I have one USB3 flash drive (Sony) that always connects. I have several other USB3 flash drives (SanDisk) that either will not connect or I have to wiggle to get a connection. I can plug those SanDisk flash drive into other USB2 ports on this same laptop and they work just fine. These are less often used.

What design difference is there such that this would happen?

Reply to
OldeGuye

There are no design differences, but that assumes that the manufacturers will actually follow the USB connector specifications. The worst offenders are the USB flash drives, wireless devices, and mouse dongles that are crammed into a USB connector. It save space and cost, they use a PCB (printed circuit board) with 4 traces instead of a proper 4 pin connector. The result is usually a lousy connection.

However, you don't have anything that qualifies, so that's not the problem. My guess(tm) is that your USB port or plugs are filled with lint and dirt. Very time I put a flash drive in my pocket, the connector ends up full of lint. Blow out the loose lint from the connectors and polish the 4 connections with something made from wood. I use a toothpick or a wood coffee stirrer. Unless the connector is obviously mangled and in need of straightening, don't try to "improve" the connection by smashing the connector so that it will have more connection force. That never seems to work.

If you must use all the ports on your old laptop, you might consider getting a short USB pigtail cable or adapter, to reduce the wear and tear on the connector in the laptop.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature