US Budget for Dummies....

Another example of mindless 'partisan politics'.

I'm no fan of Nixon, due largely to wage and price controls, but the open market price of gold was already 3 times the dollar peg rate and the only choices, short of plunging the economy into another Great Depression, were to either take it off the gold standard then or wait till gold reserves were zero, the bankruptcy of which automatically takes you off and plunges you into an even worse Great Depression.

Reply to
flipper

True.

True enough. It's NOT 'just Obama'. It's just that he's a bigger offender than all others combined and thinks we need more of the problem.

This is what's commonly referred to as "moving in the wrong direction."

Partly true. You also have to elect a responsible Congress so that, as two examples, we don't end up with loony tunes like Pelosi and Reed 'in charge'.

Seriously folks, Pelosi explaining how natural disasters like Hurricanes and earthquakes are 'good for the economy' tells one hell of a loony tune story.

They were 'promised' spending cuts by a Democrat Congress and I have never seen a Democrat Congress honor even one 'promise' of that type.

Nonsense.

Then you might as well dig a hole somewhere and climb into it because elections are the only way to fix anything.

Poppycock.

For one, it comes from $1.2 trillion deficits projected as far as the eye can see. It comes from seeing the President claim 'taxing the rich' is a solution when anyone who passed third grade math can see it isn't. It comes from hearing a President tell Congress that if they won't pass what he wants then he'll just go ahead and do it anyway. It comes from hearing a President 'brag' about oil exploration when he's doing everything he cant to stop it.

I could go on but, in short, it comes from seeing a President deliberately, by intent, doing virtually everything exactly wrong and willing to break any rule of the Constitution to accomplish it.

True, except this time they've twice elected a clueless lout.

The Dem party knew we knew this the last time it was passed.

Reply to
flipper

because

Sorry but, no, it isn't 'just the facts'. It is opinion of what people might, or might not, do under certain circumstances and presumptions but that opinion ignores numerous factors, some of which I delineated in a previous post.

Reply to
flipper

because

Yep. That's what annoyed me... "open-minded" Schuler quoted an article which does nothing but quote three disparate opinions... that's what provoked my, "And the horse may talk"... which went right over everyone's heads >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I think you're right on about location close to work. I note an alarming increase in Vespa-sized motorized scooters in traffic... clearly students or working people with an Obama-enforced need to cut costs. ...Jim Thompson

THAT is our major problem... the leftists think taxes are BORNE by those evil rich entrepreneurs. ...Jim Thompson

he covers that.

They don't. No rents change hand, so no tax.

I doubt the taxers thought it that far through. I suspect one meaning is that they expect it to drive people back to buying again.

Yep.

Right.

but property rents are generally priced at close to what the market will bear. Whether or not the tax will increase vacancy and not affect rates - or - increase rates depends on the place. Some place* with high occupancy will see increases in rates; less occupied regions will not.

*sanfran or NYC.
--
Les Cargill
Reply to

It wasn't intended as one.

The thing we're talking about is Bretton-Woods, and the French ( again ) defected, refusing to keep reserves in dollars.

The US had not particularly devalued the dollar. Public debt had *declined* under Nixon-Ford, and under the Democrat regimes before.

Yep. See, that system doesn't work very well.

The gold standard sounds better than it is; in fact, the exchange rate between gold and paper is very hard to get right, and countries can cheat.

I mean those who do economics in the tradition of Irving Fisher and Milton Friedman.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

It's not hard to observe , but it makes little sense.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

I didn't catch what you were pointed at in the above paragraphs. Was trying to sum it up...

But the money supply will constrain growth. This happened all the time in the early history of the United States.

Not so much. Google for Douglas Irwin France Great Depression. It's a widely under reported story, but I think it holds up. Looking at what happened to the Spanish Empire because of the influx of metals also holds up fairly well. In that case, there was no paper currency but there was a glut of silver, leading to an exhaustion of the Spanish economy.

The problem is that they issued *less* currency than they had gold. The net effect is to reduce currency in circulation globally.

Nossir. Too *much* gold in France, and conversely too *little* gold elsewhere.

They, in effect, held more gold than their published exchange rate for currency would support. I agree it's a confusing thing, and it's not clear why they'd do that, other than that there had been a short sharp hyperinflation in france early in the interwar period.

That was a futile gesture.

I mean that there's more than one version of what is meant by "the gold standard".

But there is more than one story to how panics happen. That's the point. Politically, the tension is expressed through opposition, although that doesn't do any good in the real economy.

I thought you were talking about the 2008 Crisis. indeed, that's what people say happened then, too.

Right.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Nonsense. You assume that people have a choice. "Hmm, let see, roof tonight or no roof." You're flat wrong. Taxes are a cost on all parties so it gets passed on to the bottom of the food chain.

Reply to
krw

WRONG! You've never studied economics, I see.

Reply to
krw

"Land is different" comes directly *from* the study of economics. See the work of David Ricardo; it's canonically about agricultural land as a factor of production but it generalizes to any land use within limits.

Ask yourself why people buy rental property. Look into how they are used for building wealth. The principal thing about any rental unit is the expected rise in property value. If one want pure cash flow, you do something else.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

People adjust choices based on location.

That is true for transformative "consumer" or durable goods. It may or may not be the case for land-based goods.

An apartment in Wichita transported to SanFran has a lot more value. Why is that?

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

To a small degree. So they're paying the "tax" by accepting a lower standard of living (and paying more for commuting). You don't consider that a cost? No, given your other recent posting, I suppose not.

Nonsense.

Does the SanFran employee commute from Wichita? Why not?

Reply to
krw

because

Land is *not* different. If what you say is true, simply raise the taxes on rentals to 1000%. It's free money!

Profit. Duh! Wrong. There is money in cash flow in most areas, though the goalpost relocation attempt is noted.

Reply to
krw

because

Hong Kong, Japan and even some locations in the US have done exactly that, historically ( although not 1000% ).

Sigh* It's *NOT* a goalpost attempt - it's the point I am alluding to. Under the right constraints, capture of value added because of land-location rents cannot be passed on to end consumers. The rental tax is *partially* that, and will be applicable under some circumstances.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

because

Why not? It doesn't matter, right? Raise it to 100% of the rental! That's the leftist's way!

Baloney.

Reply to
krw

because

I know he supposedly 'covers' it but the point is his stated premise of "If tenants have many options" ignores the landlord's options, which he claims is 'a different category'. It isn't and points to one of the flawed assumptions in his 'opinion' of the '4 possibilities'.

The landlord always has 'options' and he tries to obfuscate that with weasel words like 'many' and 'not many'. It doesn't take 'many options' to pass the tax on.

It only takes one hard fact: if there is a tax to be paid then the money has to come from 'somewhere' and, in a free market, that 'somewhere' is the renter.

That was exactly the point, as exemplified by the next paragraph stating "so the 'purpose' of it [the tax] is defeated."

The taxers never 'think it through' and it's simply a fantasy that the consumer is going to somehow 'avoid' the tax.

"One meaning" of what? The alleged "meaning" that the author is supposed to be explicitly explaining?

Which is precisely why screwing around with taxes only forces it to adjust, at the expense of the renter.

One can 'speculate' it as a 'theoretical possibility' but in the real world its not going to happen. You don't make money with vacant apartments and if they were occupied before the tax, with the vacancy now because the renter is "living in their parent's basement," then you have the situation I described above.

The landlord HAS to because he has to make a profit and renting apartments is never his 'only choice'.

They both will because the 'less occupied' region is already under immense pressure to increase rents to 'subsidize' the fallow space.

NYC is a poor example for your case because it's rent controlled, so they 'pretend' there's no rent increase. But if you look at rental rates they're artificially skewed to the 'high rent' end, producing a horrendous shortage on the low end of the scale. So the consumer is again 'paying' by lack of mobility (try moving and you'll never find another apartment) and "living in their parent's basement," due to the shortage, with the 'high rent' end paying both the increase and to 'subsidize' the 'low rent' shortage.

Reply to
flipper

Then there's no reason to say it.

Which is when the dollar was pegged to $35/ounce. I know what we were talking about: Nixon taking us off the gold standard.

I'm no fan of the French but would you keep dollars at $35/ounce when the market says it's $120/ounce?

You can weasel 'it shouldn't be so' all you like but the cold hard fact is that gold was going for 3 times the peg rate on the open market.

I never said it did. That still, however, begs the question of why.

That's what I just said.

Milton Friedman said essentially what I did above when stating "countries tend to 'print money', regardless of the 'gold standard', as a consequence of the 'monetary policy' (encourage employment, fund a war, or whatever) enabled by the central bank."

Milton Friedman: "If an automatic commodity standard were feasible, it would provide an excellent solution to the liberal?s (i.e., classic liberal) dilemma: a stable monetary framework without danger of the irresponsible exercise of monetary powers. . . . But?such an automatic system has historically never proved feasible. It has always tended to develop in the direction of a mixed system containing fiduciary elements... . . . And certainly the situation is now more extreme as a result of the adoption by country after country of the view that government has responsibility for ?full employment.? . . . It [a gold standard] is not feasible because the mythology and beliefs required to make it effective do not exist."

Reply to
flipper