UPS: "Do not connect laser printer..."

On a sunny day (Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:03:18 -0700) it happened Torn Lawence wrote in :

control

Yes, those cartridges are expensive, but I have been using this system for some years:

mainly to print to DVDs. Now printing costs very little, and the printheads are still the original ones. The way that system works is by using special cartridges that suck ink via silicone tubes from big external ink tanks. About 20x cheaper then the normal Epson ink. It takes care of the counter chips too. If the heads are clogged it is now less costly to run the cleaning program a few times too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have an Epson all-in-one, which works great except that if even one ink colour is low, it won't let you do _anything_. On Saturday it wouldn't even let me _scan_ until I replaced the yellow ink.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

I had that same problem with an HP6100. It told me it was out of black ink and when I put a new cartridge in, it did an alignment page. It printed out some black lines and then failed.

It never told me that it was out of color ink too. I was about to throw it away when I found an unopened set of catridges and replaced the color one just because I had it. It did the alignment and now it is working.

I really did not care very much about the printing, I wanted to use it as a black and white fax machine. Without two working cartridges (black and color), it won't funtion at all. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

The big difference is that lasers usually have a mains powered quartz lamp inside the fuser assembly to cook the toner onto the paper. My guess would be that the lamp puts a huge current spike on the mains each time it powers up, which is every minute or so. If so, that spike might overload the UPS.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Sounds good to me!

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

I'd prefer the Scotch, myself.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

IIRC, the fusing lamps are closer to 250W, but the element will draw a lot more than that when it's cold.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

It shouldn't be an issue at all for inkjets, only lasers.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

You're kidding! Why not?

Betcha they're just water & ammonia.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

My guess is that someone thinks you can mix ammonia and various household items to make a bomb, but what I think happened is that someone who can't read the Hebrew warnings on the bottle cleaned their toilet with ammonia and clorox and they had to evacuate the whole neighborhood.

Now the most exotic toilet cleaner you can buy is something called "hot water" (may cham) which is a mild dilution of hydrochloric acid. So mild, I don't think it will cause skin burns.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Not quite their fault for using that terminology, though. It's borrowed from the photocopier industry, where the same principle is used in exactly the same way. I doubt that iron-on T-shirt patterns were around - certainly not to the general public - when the toner / fuser technique was first established by Xerox or whoever it was ... :-) Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

An Epson printer's life is over the moment you make your first print ... I have lost count of the number of them that I have drop-kicked down the garden. The trouble with them is, they are full of features, and cheap, so every time I wear out an HP after 6 or 7 years, I get enticed into buying another Epson, thinking that they can't still be in business by being stupid enough not to have finally sorted out the irretrievably clogged head syndrome ... How wrong and stupid *I* continue to be :-\\

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I have always found the management software on my HPs to be very good. The

5180 all-in-one that I'm currently using, informs you as soon as the ink in any cartridge drops below about 85% at a guess, and continues to do so until that cartrige is empty. It does this via both a screen pop-up on the computer that's requesting service from it (it's a network device), and a message on its own little LCD screen. It will then continue to give you the option to print in black only - assuming it's not the black that's run out of course - before finally shutting down completely, presumably to keep enough ink in the pipes etc to prevent drying out. If I've ever hit this condition, and not had a replacement cartridge in the drawer, I've always just gone to the store and bought one, so I don't know if scanning stops as well.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On a sunny day (Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:31:08 +0100) it happened "Arfa Daily" wrote in :

Bullshit :-)

Well, do they grow there????

Na, my oldest Epson is a Stylus Color 460, is older then your HPs, works OK, apart from a bad contact in the chip socket that requires re-inserting the big DIL chip every now and then, should really fix this some time. But it is noisy. My Epson R200 is also many years old, end very very quiet.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I prefer something more on the line of a Roederer Cristal.

Reply to
Meat Plow

The fuser in the older HP lasers was on even waiting for a print job. There was a thermostat on the lamp strip inside the roller to keep the fuser roller at a constant temp. The warnings on UPS date back to those times.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Your opinion my friend, but there are many many other dissatisfied owners who would not agree with you ...

Indeed they do not. They rot gently away, which is the best thing that they can possibly do ...

I think then, that you have been very very lucky. Perhaps the ones you have are so old that they come from a time when Epson could still build printers that were not worthless junk, designed to gobble as much ink as they possibly can, from every cartridge fitted, when the jets on the end of just one of them, have clogged. In fact, I think you are the first person I have ever come across, who has not had a bad experience with one (cue hundreds of lurkers to now come out of the woodwork, protesting what marvellous machines they are ...)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I can get an "almost half-gallon" (1.75L) of Prestige Vodka for $8.99 plus tax. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Do not look into laser beam with remaining eye." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Listerine is $5 at WallyWorld.