Updating Windows 7 machines to Windows 10

Careful there. It's only too easy to brick H2O BIOS:

People who are curious about how Microsoft "phones home" may find this story useful:

Windows 10 telemetry network traffic analysis, part 1:

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to
Don Kuenz

Your script enables the local Administrator account, no? Microsoft disables the local Administrator by default and has done so since Vista, IIRC. For purposes of discussion, let's refer to disabling the local Administrator by default as Hidden_v1.

Windows 10 adds new evil to Hidden_v1. Let's refer to the newest evil as Hidden_v2.

You still need to follow Hidden_v1 protocol with Hidden_v2. IOW, you still need to use your script to enable the local Administrator account.

The new evil of Hidden_v2 manifests itself in Windows 10's new Control Panel. When you login as the local Administrator and use the new Control Panel to add another local user Windows 10 just sits there and spins its wheels until it quietly fades away.

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to

That says you can brick a PC by applying a BIOS update meant for a different PC, which is obvious. What has that got to do with swapping hard disks?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

H2O BIOS shackles its owner, by design. It only boots the original hard drive. It will not boot a clone. It bricks the PC/harddrive if you format the original partition or change one bit in the original partition table. When the original hard drive crashes, your only option is to throw the PC/laptop out and buy a replacement.

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to

I don't think that's what Win said he has, but anyone who does would probably brick it by attempting an upgrade on the same drive since there is often something written to the boot sector. Who uses that BIOS anyway? Toshiba and Lenovo? Do they actually brick the main board so putting the old drive back won't work?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Sony also uses the H2O BIOS. An indeterminate level of alteration to the original drive causes it to brick. I don't know what the H2O BIOS does when you attempt to boot with a clone and then reinstall the original, unaltered drive.

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to

The problem is that this will only last a few years until you need the latest OS to run apps.

And it might detect when it's running in a VM and do...whatever they want...to make that impractical.

The only way to avoid all this is to get away from Windows. Linux could be made to support the Windows API transparently. I wish they would do that. They could stay close enough behind Windows modifications that they could always run almost new apps. I'm not sure if there's a way that MS can use dotnet to make even that impossible.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

We've even allowed software companies to circumvent the government and rewrite copyright law by forcing people to accept EULA's that give the author more rights than the law does.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The government is a big customer so they will certainly demand a version that doesn't transmit microphone data, etc.

But MS will provide it to them, most likely, with the condition that it becomes a federal offense to obtain that version yourself.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I want 72 versions... and a mansion.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

o:

it was when I bought 10 years ago :D, now a rasp is definitely better

I suppose so. Thanks for the link. If it can play HD movies then it's defin itely interesting. I just need something to connect to the TV to play movie s.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

snipped idiot who cannot even say "computer" correctly.

quad core cubox much more versatile. No intrusive Windows 10.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

cute, but no. The other has wifi and bloutooth included. Also proc and gpu seem (are) better and is more expandable. And cost half of cuboxtv...

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

On a sunny day (Mon, 8 Feb 2016 05:54:55 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

I have used a raspi with OpenElec for that. I once bought that raspi and the openelec card came with it.

Downloads:

It worked for me, but I use other soft I wrote myself to record and play for satellite and cable on the PC. But I kept that openelec SDcard, still 3.0 RC3 :-) You never know.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

PS you need the MPEG2 decode key for fast enough playback if you use the raspi, costs a few dollars / euros from raspberry:

Jan Panteltje
:

itt=

ws1=

08.=

_50=

009=
&bt=

fin=

vie=

I have a rasp (1B), with Archlinux installed. But I don't have time to make the bluetooth dongle work so for the moment i s taking dirt on a shelf...

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

So does the cubox (wifi and bt). So, you obviously didn't even look at the specs but gave a mere glance. And it has an optical out. It definitely run kodi better, and that would be the comparison benchmark.

Of course it costs more than that other POS.

More expandable? Where. The cubox has eSATA.

Bob's yer uncle, Jack.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

the specs section in the main page says nothing about wifi or bt.

buying a thing so small and then connect external things is just stupid

again: not mentioned in the specs section.

...ah, I see now in the FAQ there a mention of a wifi version. Easy to find, and a really smart marketing move.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Nice try idiot. It was their original offering.

specifications/

And "something so small"? WTF do you care? You just wanted "something to put behind your TV to play movies" with. To me, your inane remark was "just stupid".

Four things groups together plugged in or two things all spread out. Wh the f*ck cares? Oh, that's right... the USER CARES. He cares that all your POS has is two USB 2.0 ports on it, and yet claims to be for Open Elec.

The cubox has HDMI, USB serial, USB, eSATA, and Toslink audio optical port for PCM and DTS, etc.

You probably do not even have a decent A/V receiver to spout off so like a numbskull.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

[imbecilic nonsense trimmed]

Yep, DecadentLoser _is_ an imbecile... but _so_are_you_ for feeding the troll, particularly without trimming. ...Jim Thompson