Updating Windows 7 machines to Windows 10

snip

My guess about you and this is as opposed to first hand knowledge it is more like retarded Donald Trump like gossip sludge.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Good advice. Machines are super fast now, and the extra layer should be negligible speed hit but a huge security plus.

The only really good recommendation I have yet seen in the thread.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Thought I'd report some success amongst all the doom & gloom

Myself:

Work Laptop, VS2013 & 2015 installed (community versions) Win8.1 -> Win10 on a ThinkPad T530 - No issues at all.

Home PC Win 7 sp2 -> Win10 (Self built, ASUS MB, 2 x nVidia 660, 16M, SSD) minor install issue: not enough space on the OEM or recovery partition (i.e wherever the upgrade downloads to). After making room, no issues at all.

Work Colleagues:

4 ppl with various hardware platforms, mostly Win7 - No Issues at all. 2 of the above upgraded Win7 home machines too, again No Issues.

FWIW

--
Cheers,
Chris.

After many years on Linux, I've been a Mac user since they went to Intel. At first I used Parallels because they were first to market, but the USB and networking software is not as flexible as VMWare Fusion, and that bit me badly on a difficult project, so I ditched Parallels and migrated all my VMs across to Fusion (seamless, another win for virtualisation!).

VMWare have just sacked the Fusion team and are outsourcing maintenance to China. It's possible they won't break it, but if they do, another alternative will step forward. Maybe VirtualBox, despite the Oracle taint.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

My experience with Windows 10 includes approximately eight laptops/PCs. Windows 10 is easier to use than Windows 8. If a fat app works on 7 it probably also works on 10. All of the problems experienced by me are directly tied to Internet Explorer (IE) applications.

As others mentioned, Edge is the newest IE and it's sometimes impossible to revert back to 7. Microsoft bundles a legacy version of IE11 with 10 to help you over the rough spots, if you happen to use IE applications.

One major irritation is that the local Administrator account is "hidden." You can no longer add local users when logged in as the local Administrator. Windows 10 fails to advise you of this. It doesn't display a "you can't do that" message. Instead, it just sits there, spins, and leads you to believe that something's broke. :)

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Reply to

I upgraded from XP to Win7 way back during the beta program - it looked right to try on new systems. I liked it so much I transitioned immediately; lots of building work. (But my co-author Paul stayed with XP until recently.)

I don't see benefits from Win10, only trouble.

Last winter I upgraded to Asus / Intel X99 w/ 2011-pin socket (scary, but works well), Core i7-5960X CPU and 16G of DDR4 RAM, that's fast. Not that expensive, about $1k for parts. Why can't Microsoft leave me alone for a few years.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

No, sadly it is true. The best estimate by security conscious programmers is that 1 security problem will slip through for every 1000 lines of code. Microsoft has already proved the unreliability of win10 with it's monthly security updates.

In other words, microsoft made something else that broke existing implementations of Kerberos, but called it 'Kerberos' to increase it's market share - I believe a court in the US made that determination. If microsoft wanted to do good then they already knew they had to give it a new name - but they didn't

Reply to
David Eather

Would have been a great response all by itself.

Reply to
bitrex

Have you read the nitty gritty of the Windows 10 EULA?

As JL would say: "Yikes."

Reply to
bitrex

Oh the days are getting closer. I hope you gag on your voment if Trump wins! Actually, he'll be good for those of your kind, clean up the system draining losers.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 22:31:29 -0500, bitrex wrote: snip

Your snip it and post a one liner is what made it retarded.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You're an idiot..

I hope you gag on your voment if Trump

There's another proof that you're an abject idiot, right there. He will not win and the term is vomit, you retarded illiterate f*ck.

You are not qualified to assess what "kind" anyone is.. You are but a circus flea.

You seem to think I am on a government tit. You have pulled this retarded shit before. You couldn't be more wrong, but we all already knew that fact. The only system I would find it a joy to drain away is that of your life essence.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's about 100x better than their historical rates then :).

But you quote "security conscious programmers". What do you know of Microsoft's actual practices?

Are you aware that almost every new API(*) is specified as an object model, and both the documentation (multi-lingual!) and code is

*generated* from that model before "the programmer" gets to work with it?

So how do you count the lines of code that are susceptible to error? In the generator? In its templates? In the object model? or in the generated code?

Like I said, modern development practices are bringing radical changes, not just incremental ones.

(*) Certainly every API that is designed to work with the PowerShell, which is essentially a functional programming language - not a procedural one.

You're disputing their business behavior here. I'm not, that was wrong.

Technically, what they did was necessary and good. The hubris of their business managers caused them to mismanage the business aspect, is all.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

You are the jerk of all jerks >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Firstly, note the fact that There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Secondly, M$ is _promising_ to look at (and maybe steal) everything available in a Win10 system. Maybe you should remove the full front wall of your house and paint the inside with pure gold. Do not forget to add a big sign on the front lawn "Nothing here belongs to me".

Reply to
Robert Baer

I maintain about 200 assorted machines for various customers. I personally own 5 Win 10 machines, 2 Win 7 machines, and I don't know how many XP machines. I've done some upgrades from Win 7/8.1 to Win

10 and am generally satisfied with the performance and reliability of Win 10. There were are few glitches, but no meltdowns or disasters. None of my customers running Win 10 are complaining very much. Mostly, they're not accustomed to learning a new user interface every few years. For those that do complain, I install Classic Shell to make Win 10 look and feel more like Win 7:

However, there were a few surprises:

  1. MS Office 2003 Works fine on Win 7, but doesn't on Win 8.1 or 10.
  2. I have little control over the update process. That's fairly important when I give a presentation and the machine insists that this would be the perfect time to download a very large update. At best, I can delay the installation until later, but not the download.
  3. I'm very suspicious as to why MS is so anxious to quickly upgrade everyone to Windoze 10. My guess is that when the 1 year free upgrade period ends in about April 2016, MS is going to monetize Win10. You may find yourself supporting MS with regular financial contributions or support, updates, and fixes.
  4. MS give you 1 month to "test" Win 10. After that, it allegedly not possible to roll back to Win 7. Worse, I am told that you cannot use your previous Win 7 serial number to reinstall Win 7. I have tested this and found it not to be true, but it might happen at any time.
  5. Older printers, web cameras, scanners, and devices that require drivers, no longer work.

If you're going to upgrade, I suggest you first make an image backup of your Win 7 system. I use Acronis True Image 2015 (about $50) which is not very good, but is the best I've found so far for the purpose: That's an image backup that gets everything, not a file by file backup that requires a working OS to reinstall. I boot from a bootable CDROM or flash drive with Acronis, and backup to a USB 2TB disk drive. I know have about 3 times as many since the photo was taken. Backup speed is between 1GB/min to 6GB/min depending on hardware:

Or, if you're in the mood for a hardware upgrade, you might want to clone your Win 7 hard disk drive to an SSD (solid state disk) and upgrade to Win 10 on the SSD. There are a few tweaks that need to be made. Figure on 3x to 5x faster for everything. If you don't like it, just put the original Win 7 drive back into the machine.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That would be about Oct 2009.

If Microsoft had done it right, I would be out of business. The obvious benefit to Windoze 10 is to Microsoft, not the user.

Because you're not paying MS any money for the privilege of using their OS. Presumably, you paid for Win 7 back in 2009 and that's the last time MS saw any money from you. I'm even worse. XP was released in about 2001 with only a one time payment to MS 15 years ago. Today, the new regime wants you to pay MS on a regular basis. Software as a service, software rental, customer-vendor relationship, etc. Call it what you want, you're going to be paying more often and probably more dollars.

To be fair, MS has not announced such a plan. Questions about what will happen after the 1 year free upgrade period are met with silence or professed ignorance. What will really happen is at best a guess. In my never humble opinion, the only reason that MS is so anxious to upgrade everyone as quickly as possible is that they plan to monetize it, which will instantly stop all voluntary upgrades. They have the Win 10 users trapped, but not those using Win 7 and 8.1. Hopefully, that won't happen, but I think it best to plan as if it might.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I understand the lure of virtualizing software. Most of what I do wants to talk to the hardware, sometimes in native form. I've found virtualization lacking in those areas.

Reply to
mike

On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 23:17:34 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote: (...) It's going to be a while until Win 7 goes away. The problem is that most of the Win 7 desktops are in the corporate environment, which is currently immune to Microsoft's heavy handed push to upgrade everyone to Win 10.

Desktop Operating System Market Share Windows 10 Market Share on Desktop

Win 7 54.84% Win 10 11.85% Win XP 11.42% Win 8.1 10.4%

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Such carefully worded inane comical putzdom!