Unregulated "White Space" Allocations

He sounds like a crank? :-)

Seriously... CB radios are "mostly unlicensed" and also 4W. GMRS is supposed to be licensed, but few if anyone even bothers anymore... and those are up to

50W (albeit ~4W is much more common). And heck, most people can get an amateur radio license by attending a one-day course, and then they can transmit hundreds of watts of power... including various "pulsed digital" modes.

Basically... if there is a danger there, my opinion is that it's insignificant compared to that of driving to work every day or spending a nice sunny afternoon on the beach without sunblock (...the sun being ~1kW/m^2 and all!).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

If you were much into hunting I'd think you'd have animal heads on the walls. :-)

Those are fancy places -- I'd say only 1 hotel in 5 I stay at has the Ethernet option... those are the higher-end hotels.

I do too if I'm doing real engineering-type work, but for just reading background material or browsing the Internet some I like a couch at times.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The effect of drinking any and everything with alcohol in it.

He should look at the price of copper mesh some time. Even better is bronze, which doesn't oxidize so fast.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

You haven't seen my collection of liberals ?:-)

I don't stay at Motel 8, but I wouldn't consider where I stay "high-end" unless I'm vacationing with the wife.

I don't "browse" unless I'm shopping for something in particular. ...Jim Thompson

Pictures, pictures! ;-)

I'll bet you a nickel that sooner or later one of your kids or grandkids will ask you why you don't have WiFi so that they can use their laptops/tablets/smartphone/etc. without plugging into an Ethernet hose. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I'll post them ;-)

The grandkids "playroom" has two PC locations. ...Jim Thompson

Here ya go...

[snip] ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Nice. You should add name tags to each one... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Which one is dimbulb?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Could it be your ISP looking for a "server"? Many have T&Cs that ban such things and will probe for them.

Reply to
krw

If that were gamma rays it could be quite dangerous!

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

e in

The 7th one on the right. :)

Reply to
mpm

pposed

p to

icant

l!).

This guy's information is all wrong. He makes so many statements that are factually inaccurate, that I can't even be bothered to protest them.

For example, needing a license to erect a tower. Wrong. Even carriers (who are licensed), don't need one. At least, not for any specific tower. They can put up whatever they want within (or as long as it covers) their licensed geographic service areas and the FCC could not care less. Sure, they do have to comply with local land use restrictions, Tribal law, historic places, wetlands / environmental protections, etc.. (where those are an issue), but that's a huge stretch from what this guy is claiming. Namely, that unfettered tower construction will somehow be harmful to the human race.

Next up: His total misconception that carriers are even going to be interested in unlicensed spectrum. Humm, let me see. Nope!! They are not going to invest billions developing and deploying a major network without assurances that they can recoup their investments. And that, means licenses and exclusivity.

I would wager this author is about 90% short on facts, 50% high on hyperbole, and about 30% just plain full of shit.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Actually, YOU sound like a crank. Read the literature and then make a comment that is not 10 years behind the times.

How much poison is enough for you?

Stan

Reply to
Stan Harper

No, it's because of it. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I didn't bother with that - it's not my house; but I'd bet it'd be cheaper than "thick lead walls!" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise