Ungrounded Couche ?

Hmmm...

I bought a new couch... at first I noticed electricity discharges when I touched some metal after standing up from the couche.

I thought hmmm I am insolated (plastic inhouse shoes) and so is the couche possibly because of wooden feet.

So far I have done two things:

  1. I took a shoe lace and placed it on the couche and made it touch the ground... seems to help a little bit.

  1. I also vacuumed cleaned the couch with the dust sucker... :) that was a few days ago.

Since then I can't recall any more shocks.

So either the shoe lace is helping... possibly...

But mostly likely... the thorough vaccuum cleaning had something to do with it ?!

I write this story down for me in the future and others...

Maybe the problem will return in the future...

Could a shoe lace actually ground that couche ? Would it help ? I also live in an appartment at level 5.

I used this round thing on the vaccum cleaner which had this fluffy hair on it... maybe it was ment for cleaning couches...

Seems like it..

It did seem to do a wonderfull job of removing "electrons" from the couche for now...

It could also be that my clothing changed... (Think not though)

Hmmm...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

#rolls eyes slightly#

Static-electricity generation, caused by rubbing two dissimilar pieces of insulating material together (e.g. your clothes, and the fabric on the couch)... well, that's one of the oldest-known forms of electricity.

Yes, it's most noticeable when you're walking around on insulated shoes (the charge doesn't drain away from you) and the charge generation process will be more efficient if both you and the couch are insulated from ground *and* if the air is dry.

There are plenty of commercial products which are intended to reduce or eliminate such triboelectric buildup. Some of them, at least, work by making the surfaces in question very slightly conductive.

The most easily available, and most appropriate type is probably "fabric softener" liquid. Many of these are designed (and advertised) to eliminate "static cling"... they lubricate the fabric slightly, and make its surface very slightly conductive. Buy a bottle of this at your local supermarket (scented or unscented as you prefer), put some in a spray bottle (dilute it about 5:1 with tap water first), and gently "mist" the fabric on your couch and allow the fabric to dry. This should greatly reduce the problem for quite some time. If you use a dose of fabric softener in the rinse water when you launder your clothing, you will further reduce the static buildup problem.

Increasing the relative humidity level in your house will have a similar effect.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Tie a chain around your waist, with a "dangle" that drags on the floor

...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Just dump a bucket of water on it a couple of times a day.

lunatic fringe electronics

Salt water.

Reply to
krw