Ultra high frequency oscillators

ircuits that (accidentally) oscillated around 12 GHz, using 40-GHz SiGe bip olar transistors. You can get discretes with f_T values of 80 GHz or more (BFP840 iirc).

riend of mine from grad school, Mark Rodwell, has been doing great things i n that line for some years now out at UCSD.

travelling-wave tubes (TWTs), all of which still have their uses. For power s of milliwatts to watts, there are negative-resistance diodes such as Gunn and IMPATT (impact-avalance transit time), and for low power, high-order f requency multipliers such as step-recovery diodes running off lower frequen cy oscillators.

sentially any frequency you like by picking two teeth of the comb and beati ng them together, e.g. with a nonlinear crystal or a fast photodetector suc h as an antenna-coupled tunnel junction.

A Happy New Year to each of you who responded to my query, and thanks for the helpful insights. Over the past two years, I have been involved deeply in writing custom software for analysis/ design of distributed filters and related RF/microwave devices, and naturally one thing led to another, and I am getting i nvolved RF/ultra high frequency amplifier and oscillator analysis.

Reply to
dakupoto

SpectreRF was the thing to use for predicting the phase noise of oscillators (or at least it was last time I was involved). If you had a competitor for that, it would be valuable.

There are simpler methods of calculating phase noise like Leeson's equation, but that contains some fudge factors that you have to adjust until it agrees with your measurement of a real one. If you want to predict performace of an oscillator on chip before it is made, that isn't very useful. I have no confidence that the fudge factors would be the same for any two oscillators, which means that I find it pointless, even for modifying an existing circuit.

Reply to
Chris Jones