Ultra-efficient bucks

I LOVE how tight and dense that schematic is !

Yeah, Efficiency is not super easy to measure accurately especially around 100%.... It can be embarrassing when it gets better than 100% !

Of course, there are lots of overunity folks out there that would believe it

Reply to
boB

A cheapo I.R. thermometer can be had for obviously hot, there is no point in measuring that exactly. The

I hit something in the 95% efficiency ballpark some years ago in a buck-boost switcher. Discrete switches, integrated controller. It was mostly a matter of parts-selection and trading off parameters (*), e.g., too big a FET wastes drive, too small wastes Rds(on) dissipation.

(*) AND, I should add, some sleuthing with the I.R. thermometer, which uncovered some unexpectedly warm components.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat